Monday, March 3, 2008

doughnut pancakes

I got an email last week as a thank you from Moto. Part of it was the following recipe. Unfortunately, it doesn't specify the type or size of the doughnut. I tried this with five day-old 'old fashioned' doughnuts from Dunkin Donut. Way to much doughnut; 3 and 1/2 would have worked much better - - the batter was almost like cookie dough. Also, I used a blender instead of a cusinart. I think the latter would have mixed the material more thouroughly. As it was, I needed to remove the 'batter' from the blender and mix the flour, salt and baking soda in a steel bowl. They fried up well, and the kids liked them, at about 1 million calories per bite. We might try this again with some other kind of doughnut, perhaps. Or maybe I will write to Moto and find out what kind of doughnut they recommend.

Doughnut Pancakes
By Executive Chef Homaro Cantu and Pastry Chef Ben Roche
moto, Chicago
www.motorestaurant.com

5 doughnuts
2 eggs
1 quarter cup powdered sugar
two-thirds cup milk
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbs flour
1 half tsp salt

Method:
· Roughly chop doughnuts
· Combine doughnuts, milk, eggs and powdered sugar in a blender
· Blend the ingredients until smooth (approx. 1 minute)
· Add flour, baking powder and salt
· Pulse in a blender until combined
· Cook in a greased skillet as you would a typical pancake

No comments: