Dear Everyone,
Indeed, it is time for a new letter. Perhaps the best thing that has happened lately have been the large flocks of Sandhill cranes we have seen (and heard) as they dance across the sky in their northern, spring migration. Dance is the right word, both in the air and on the land. Not for cranes the rigorous V of Canada geese. Cranes whirl and swirl like they are doing some crazed waltz. Their call, too, is a strange cluster of trills. And everyone knows what they look like on land (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91aKa_brDvQ&feature=related) I am not surprised that so many ancient peoples had crane dances – Greek, Chinese, Japanese, Native American, African, etc. Perhaps the ones we saw were on their way to Baraboo, Wisconsin, the neighbor of the Devil’s Head ski resort!
Nicola has wrapped on crewing for Thoroughly Modern Millie. She auditioned for a part in the spring play, which is a combination of three short radio plays. Nikki was asked about how many different accents she can do. She can attempt posh English, cockney, New York, and a few others, along with numerous sound effects. Lucas has been playing in some tennis tournaments, the latest in Northbrook, where Cindy spotted the Holzmans. Lucas seems to have some rotator cuff problems at the moment. He will be performing in the middle school one act plays this coming week. Jasper’s swim season is on semi break with start and turn clinics 2-3 nights per week until the long course season starts in April. We took the weather guard off of Cindy’s Miata, Little Red. We had to use the bicycle pump to re-inflate one of the tires. When we are driving there is a rhythmic sound in time with the wheel rotations; I think it might be the brake pad.
I was at a recent emergency meeting at the hospital, where the CEO told us that we are under budget projections by about 5%, and we are looking at a 15 million shortfall by July. At present they don’t think they can fire anybody else. Hospital management and some other areas are going to take a 10-15% pay cut. They are asking the doctors to see an additional 5 patients a week (of course, for this to happen, don’t we need some overtime staffing?) One problem Loyola has is a long wait time to get an appointment - - up to two months! I am not shocked that it has taken financial crises for them to try to get their systemic problems fixed. The last speaker at this meeting said “Don’t worry, Loyola has always been on the financial edge! We should be used to this!” It is a fact that many academic centers are really hurting now – Northwestern and U of Chicago were using endowment funds as part of their operating costs. Both have had big layoffs and cutbacks. However, is it fitting for Loyola to brag about its experience as the ‘church mouse’?
Meanwhile, I did get official confirmation that I will be elevated to full professor on July 1 (with a pay cut?). However, I will be going to visit Advocate Christ Hospital on 95th street over the next week, and I will have to come to a decision. I had the opportunity to teach some of the 1st year medical students last week, and it was so much fun. I will lose this if I move. I am pretty curious about the Neuroscience institute that Christ is creating (it has been in process for at least eighteen months by press releases). I have been pretty disappointed by the amount of neuro-oncology at Loyola over the last five years - - maybe it will be better at Christ. Any advice or questions you think I should ask while I looking the place over will be happily accepted.
Happy Pi day (3/14), and St Patrick’s day. We’ve had great weather lately.
Love, H.
PS Reading Bolano’s 2666 was disappointing. I think our book group will select something new when Roger and Barbara come back from their investigations of Persia. Email me if you want to be invited into the group!
Monday, March 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment