Monday, June 1, 2009

yahoo vs gmail

A poll for my blog readers

I am leaving Loyola in a couple of months. My LUMC password will become defunct. I will have an email account at my new place of business, but I am going to try to reserve it for pathology related business.

I currently have both yahoo and gmail email accounts. Does anyone have insights into which is better, etc?

Other news - - we saw UP this weekend. (Unfortunately not in 3-D). You should go see it! Nicola went to Maddi's 16th birthday party; theme: cake decorating. I brought some weird french beer with me which I drank with Andy and John Feiger. Gail did a great job in making lunch, cake, etc. Jasper was in his first long course meet this summer (Cindy and Jad to leave the house by 6 AM Sat and Sunday to make the meet in Lincolnshire). He did a good job - - his times were down, but not as much as CIndy thought they could be. Lucas and Jasper bought Nerf guns http://www.amazon.com/Nerf-N-Strike-Recon-CS-6-Blaster/dp/B001KOTPHY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1243878594&sr=8-4 and there was lots of fighting and shooting of rabbits.

2 comments:

Joey Bag Of Donuts said...

Gmail is far superior: unlimited storage, great organization abilities, fast, etc.

Aaron said...

Uncle Henry,

Personally, I really prefer gmail to yahoo for a couple of reasons. The first is that gmail's organizational method works a lot more intuitively for me. Instead of placing messages in folders, you attach labels to emails. What's nice about this is that you can add multiple labels to a single message.

If you get a message that straddles different definitions, say something from a family member that also happens to be about work, you can label it both Family and Work and find it under either tag. It's a lot more versatile than just folders. Also, the search function works a lot better for gmail in my experience.

Another thing I like about gmail is the Google Notifier. This is a small program that lets you know in real time whenever you receive an email. On my Mac at least, it shows me how many unread emails I have, who they're from and the subject line. It might be different on a PC.

Gmail also does a nice thing of folding together all the emails in a conversation thread. So instead of having half a dozen emails from one conversation floating throughout your inbox from over the last two weeks, you have every email behind the first email sent. The thread also jumps up to the top of your inbox when a new email is sent which keeps the older emails more visible.

That was longer then I thought it would be. There are some other nice features to Gmail (you can tie together a lot of your web presence with it), but these are the key ones I know of that make it a good email provider.

Aaron