Tuesday, February 19, 2013

february 18, 2013


Dear everyone,

Cindy is in Amherst, Mass., with Lucas, visiting one of his back-up schools.  Perhaps she will append some commentary to the end of this letter to tell us of their impressions.  I know Lucas went to a concert last night with one of his friends, Tom, and that he will speaking to another ex-HCHS student, Divia, who is a classics major there.  They left yesterday morning, which turned into a bit of a logistics problem for me, because Jasper had to decide which day to forfeit swim practice, because I could not drive him to both sessions this weekend.  He decided to give up Iaido on Saturday (I went to our sports club instead of my Tai Chi class), and to stay at home on Sunday, so I could go teach an aikido class (the head instructor is in Puerto Rico giving a seminar).

Saturday afternoon Jasper went to see part of the high school sectionals meet (prelim to the state meet) with some of his team members, while I drove to Highland Park for an investment committee meeting, and then afterwards to Roka Akor (http://www.rokaakor.com/locations/chicago/dinner/) downtown, where we celebrated Barbara’s and Owen’s birthday.  We had a fantastic meal.  The sake flowed freely, and we had almost innumerable dishes. Some stand out dishes were butterfish tataki, roasted shishito peppers, a sea urchin roll, barbequed lamb chops with Korean spices, and Brussels sprouts.

Most everything at work is the same as always.  My computer was recently upgraded, generally a good thing.  It certainly is working a little faster with some of the bigger programs like photoshop.  Yesterday, I realized to my dismay, that my database software was obsolete.  I was using Filemaker pro 4.0, which harkens back to about 1998.  Filemaker is now of version 12.  I couldn’t even get the computer to load the old software, because it was made for 16 bit software.  Now I need to purchase a new version of the software, and convert my database.  I hope it will be without significant issues, but the old software is so outdated that the conversion process has to go through several iterations before it is compatible with the new format.  This database is something I need urgently (it’s basically a key to study set materials that I only update on a quarterly basis, and I don’t have any residents to go over the cases with anymore anyway), but I have been maintaining it since my move to Christ three years ago, and inertia has been carrying me forward. 

Thinking about neuropathology teaching, I should remark that Jack Lee is leaving Loyola for Evanston North Shore hospital after 21 years of service.  Jack was the chairman of the Pathology department who recruited me to Loyola ten years ago from my position at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh.  Jack was doing a great job as chair, and then he was recruited to be the Dean of the medical school around 2006.  This is when some of the finances of the hospital and the medical school started to go sour, and Jack, unfortunately, did not have the right kind of personality to make big operating budget cuts.  He was forced out of the Deanship just around the time I left Loyola, and came back to Pathology as a professor (Eva Wojcik, his successor, was/is now the Chair).  Jack remained at Loyola for another 3 years, but now he is leaving.  This coincides with an exodus of youngish Pathology faculty (three more pathologists are leaving in the next three months).  Loyola really has a systemic problem when it comes to faculty retention.

Love, H.

No comments: