Dear everyone,
I have a bit of time before I take the boys to see Iron Man
3. I hope my ears hold out. Lucas has had a busy week. This weekend the boys’ tennis team played to
win a second straight state championship at a record setting pace, scoring 59
points out of a maximum 60. Lucas and
Cindy went up north to watch the semis and final matches on Saturday. Then Lucas was the author in a 24 hour
theatre project. On Friday night he was
given a line that had to be used in the scene, “Winter is coming”, and he wrote
a short play in several hours, which was then translated to the stage by
Saturday evening. His play was about a
girl raising her hand in class and going to the bathroom. He used themes from
Homer, Isaac Asimov, and H.P. Lovecraft.
Last weekend he participated in a 24 hour walkathon that fell between
the drama banquet on Friday evening and the tennis team brunch on Sunday
morning. He graduates on Thursday, and I
hope he will be glad to finish.
Jasper, meanwhile, started off the summer long course swim
season with a bang, making new times in all of his events last weekend. He is relieved to get a bit of a break over
the holiday. He has started two a day practices (with Cindy getting up with him
to take him to his 5:30 AM practice; will we be glad when he gets his driver’s
license this September) on T/W/Th, which will continue until mid July.
Last weekend Cindy and I went out with Andy, Gail, Maddi,
and an old PEA dorm mate of mine, Supat Jambala, and his wife Pang. Supat’s daughter just finished Brown. We went
to Sepia, a restaurant around Jefferson and Randolph. It was okay.
I am not sure I know what Supat does now, for a time I believe he was
working with General Electric. His wife’s
family owns a factory near Bangkok that makes ceramic tchotchkes for Crate and
Barrel, etc. More interesting has been Pang’s
mission to rescue abandoned dogs near the factory grounds. At one point she had 200 dogs, although now
attrition has pared it down to about 100.
It’s a full time job for a couple of employees to take care of these
dogs. They also own four house dogs, a
cocker spaniel, two Pomeranians, and some other breed we can’t remember. After this trip to the US, Supat and Pang
were going on to London and Spain. We talked
about old schoolmates and teachers. One
notable old student was Scott Sommerville, who was a senior when I was a
freshman. We both remembered him as an
incredibly smart guy. Some years after
graduation Scott was in an accident where a weight fell on his head. Afterwards he became born again and proselytized
a lot. He has become a national figure
on home schooling since.
Other news for me last week was more or less hitting a big
pothole. This was a bad enough that my
left front tire immediately deflated.
Although I could have had the tire replaced anywhere, the Tesla people
were concerned that I may have bent the rim (I did not). However, while it was in the shop they
replaced the buzzing dashboard element, and also did some work on the battery
inverter (whatever that is). I had to
drive a rented internal combustion car from Enterprise for a few days - - a
Dodge Charger. It was pretty awful.
Love, H.


No comments:
Post a Comment