Sunday, October 27, 2013

Oct 27, 2013

Dear everyone,

Cindy and I were at the Field Museum Women’s Board Ball last night.  As Roger mentioned in his letter, we were joined by Andy, Gail, Jim, Amy, Betsy, and Steve and Lucy Minn. Neither of us went to the exhibit that featured memorabilia of the 1893 Columbian Exhibition, so I don’t know if they also featured the serial killer H. H. Holmes.  I do have some pictures below of the indoor Ferris Wheels (not rideable), as well as people performing as circus folk.  At least the exhibit was probably relatively cheap to put together, considering the depths of insolvency the Museum has at the moment due to their bad bond decisions of five years ago.  The dinner was better than average. It had little accents of foods that were first introduced at the fair: Cracker Jack, Aunt Jemima syrup, and cotton candy.


Looking North


Strong man and girl

Looking South from our table, with elephants

Life is pretty quiet.  Hinsdale high school sports have been doing quite well.  The Boys’ golf team and the girls’ tennis team won the state competitions. The football team won enough games that they made some sort of post season play, and the Boys’ soccer team is in the top ten in the country (they are 20 wins 2 ties no losses, and no goals scored on them for eight games), and are approaching their sectional games.  Lucas 2 has finished reading the Great Gatsby, but I don’t what he thought of it.  Jasper is pretty much recovered from his wisdom teeth extraction.  He swam in a meet last weekend and managed to go times close to his best, which he posted when tapered.  He has to write an essay for English, and the first step was presenting the teacher with three topics.  One topic was on the way the SAT written exam subverts teaching actual good essay writing.

Lucas Brown had a week off from school, and he came to visit us for a couple of days.  He took a bus direct from the Oberlin campus to near Union Station, and then a train to Hinsdale.  He looks pretty healthy.  I think he enjoyed the partial autumn tennis season, but that is all done with until the spring.

Not much new is happening at work.  We are still fighting the idiosyncrasies of our voice recognition system.  It understands my dictation 95% of the time, but the interface between the VR system and the laboratory information system is still quite lousy.  It’s being worked on, but I don’t have much hope for improvement.  It’s working better than the health care exchanges seem to be.  I would like to point out that the states that seem to be having the worst time of making it work also seem to be the ones that refused any federal help in setting up exchanges etc.  California, New York, and Kentucky seem to be making it work.  I have no idea how Illinois is doing.

We are getting ready for Halloween.  Cindy and I bought three pumpkins yesterday, and we plan to carve them over the next few days.  I will post the pictures in the blog and on Facebook later.  I did want to carve Miley Cyrus in full twerking mode, but this idea was vetoed by every member of my family.  I thought it was pretty frightening!


Love, H.

No comments: