Sunday, January 12, 2014

Jan 12, 2014

Dear Everyone,

It seems that you all eventually successfully arrived back home.  The weather in Chicago was unpleasant while you were gone, but much worse after you all came back!  9 inches of snow and the negative teen high temperatures.  Brrrr.  Luckily, I am inside all day instead of having a construction job.  Not quite that lucky, though - - I’m on call this weekend, and I was at the hospital until after midnight on Friday, and after 2:30 last night.  As usual, it was the ‘Gift of Hope’ (What is the opposite of gift of hope?  Theft of despair?) transplant procurement team keeping me at the hospital.  I don’t know why they always have to get the organs in the middle of the night.  As I have told Cindy many times, they can have my junk only if they open me up during normal working hours.

We did have a bit of fun while you were all away.  The work load, not surprisingly, was pretty light, and I was only working from 8:30 until 4:30.  Even this was probably too long; there was such a dearth of material, I probably could have left every day at 3.  Our turn around time is going to be slow in the coming months, because of forced early retirements in the laboratory.  I think we lost about 20% of the histotech work force, and these jobs are unfillable for several reasons.  First, not many people are training for this job any more.  Laboratory technician wages have been pretty flat over the last 20 years, and if you are smart enough to work as a technician, you are also smart enough to train as nurse or a therapist, where the money is better.  But also, ACL (the combined laboratory for Advocate) pays less than the premium rate in Chicago, and probably has one of the highest throughput, high stress jobs of hospital laboratories in Chicago.  So, if you are smart enough to be a good histotechnician, you are smart enough to get a job in another lab.  Other issues at work are the continuing problems with the voice recognition system, plus we will be starting to use an ‘upgraded’ pathology information system in the next few months, plus the move to the new outpatient surgery center, plus the decreasing reimbursements and increasing regulations of all medical labor.  I’m looking forward to retirement in a dozen years.

Back to fun.  The husband of one of my colleagues as a resident, Chris (Brown) Piller grew up in Brookfield, and although they make their home in Charlotte, NC, he, Chris, and their three kids usually come up here during Christmas to visit with his three brothers, and his mom.  Chris gave me a call, and we got together with Jasper (the Piller kids were off doing stuff with their cousins).  We went out to Chuck’s Southern Comfort Café’s second location.  I may have written about visiting the one near the hospital back in the summer of 2013.  Chuck opened up a second, larger restaurant in Darien, about 10 minutes drive south from our house.  We all had barbeque, and sampled several brews from the extensive beer list. Chris, of course, is a pathologist, while Ken is a plant geneticist.  They met at Hopkins, where he was a post-doc in a malaria lab, where they were trying to figure out how to splice malaria RNA in hopes of generating a vaccine. He was there to learn about RNA splicing techniques.  When Chris was in St Louis fulfilling her Air Force obligation, Ken had a job with Monsanto.  Now Ken is a professor in North Carolina, and he also has a spin-off company where they are able to put genes into soybeans for protein production.  So if you have some complex protein that you need to get a lot of, he can engineer a soybean plant to make it.  He’s looking for medical applications, such as pharmaceuticals.  We just watched the 49ers – Panthers playoff game, and I wasn’t sure who I should root for - - Owen’s team, or Chris’s.  The Panthers seem to play a bit dirty (and stupid), so I guess I am glad the 49ers won.  Meanwhile, i don't want to talk about Jay Cutler's re-upping t with the Bears  (later - - a match up between the Brady Patriots and Menning Broncos next week).

I rented some videos from the library to watch with Jasper during the Mexico trip.  We saw Seven Psychopaths with Christopher Walken.  Sort of a weird movie.  Might be worth renting.  I also rented Kagemusha directed by Kirosawa.  It was a real boor; I don’t know why this movie was championed by George Lucas and Steven Spielberg.  I have read a few good things lately:  Fizz, a history of the soda pop industry; Gulp, the book by Mary Roach about the digestive tract.  This book didn’t have a lot of new information for me, but Roach’s satiric asides are hilarious.  I told Joey that they should option the title only, and use it as a springboard for a movie with Will Ferrell about insane digestive researchers (like Woody Allen’s Everything you Wanted To Know About Sex* *But Were Afraid To Ask).  I read a book of short stories by Russell Banks.  These are well detailed and characterized stories about (for the most part, there are some creepier stories about Miami) the desperate lives of middle aged and retired, divorced white people who live in upstate New York.  I finally got a history book out of the library that I ordered several months ago called “Global Crisis: War Climate Change and Catastrophe in the 17th century”  It’s pretty long, so I won’t be able to report on it for a month or so.


Love, H.

No comments: