Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Sept 2, 2014

Dear Everyone,

I lazed around all of Labor Day weekend, and I forgot that I should be writing a letter.  Of course, when I say ‘laze’ I don’t mean that I was only sitting around eating Pirate’s Booty and watching American Ninja Warrior (although I did this too!).  I managed to get through five books, three of which I thought were worth mentioning:  Working Stiff, a book by a forensic pathologist about her two years of forensics fellowship in New York City, which took place in 2001-2003, so she was part of the 9/11 Medical Examiner team;  Dear Committee, an hilarious epistolary novel written by a cranky tenured professor of creative writing at a second tier University (with an English department in shambles); and The Last Pirate, another non-fiction book about one of the biggest marijuana smugglers in the US between 1975-1990.  This book was written by his son, and is an interesting mixture of hero worship and vilification.




Meanwhile, Cindy drove Lucas out to Oberlin on Saturday and returned on Sunday.  They stayed overnight near Sandusky, but didn’t have time to go to the Cedar Point amusement park.  Maybe sometime later (and if we drive Jasper…).  Lucas seemed pretty happy to get out of the house and back on campus.  I don’t know if he was sufficiently entertained for the last two weeks of his summer break.  He and Jasper did go to Great America one day and report that the new roller coaster is a great ride.  He, Jasper and I went to see Sin City 2 a week or two ago.  Interesting cinematography, but the plot was much weaker than the first movie.  Guardians of the Galaxy was more enjoyable.  We also watched Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels on Netflix (for some reason, they don’t have ‘Snatch’) with his friend Miles, and later, the Dr. Who series premier, which was really dumb.  Nicola also graced us with her presence for a few days.  Cindy commented that it was the first time since Christmas break that all three were home at the same time.

Jasper started school almost two weeks ago, and is wrestling with physics, Cicero, AP biology, and etc.  Club swim season starts up on Thursday.  Jasper has switched over from the Hinsdale Swim Club to the Hornets Swim Club, where he has several friends from the high school team (and a couple more swimmers who can set a good pace for him to practice against).

When I think about swimming, Tuchler is always a name that comes to mind.  Jim contacted me earlier today to see if he and Andrew can come for a visit tomorrow.  Of course they can come, but I don’t know if I will have anything very interesting to show them. 

We are also pretty excited to hear that Tamara is going to open a brick and mortar establishment.  Let them eat Hungry Hungry Hash!

Not much else to talk about.


Love, H.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have glanced through both Dear Committee Members and Working Stiff. I am glad you enjoyed them. I live vicariously through you, Henry!

Owen