Dear Everyone,
All of the kids are home for a day. Lucas started his break last weekend, but as
soon as he got home to Hinsdale he took a van to West Lafayette, Indiana to
visit one of his friends who is a sophomore at Purdue. He came back Monday, and has since been
hanging out at home. I did induce him to
go to the gym with me on Wednesday. On
Friday Cindy drove him to Hype Park to spend the afternoon visiting another
friend and then the evening with Nicola.
I picked up the two of them this morning, because the whole
family went to the iFly in Rosemont where each of us (except Cindy) had two two
minute sessions in the vertical wind tunnel after a 10 minute training session
and equipment sizing. In the second of
the sessions, the instructor would grab hold of you and the two of you would
rise and whirl in the air. It was exhilarating. We also got to see the instructors doing two
minute sessions on their own where they would flip, twist, rotate, go up, go
down, on their backs, on their sides, etc.
It was exciting. I do have videos
on Facebook, so if you are friended to me you can see them. The files are too large to easily post to the
blog.
Other social occasions include going to Kings bowling, right
across the street from iFly the previous week.
This was the annual social get-together of the MDP partners. About half of my colleagues at Christ
went. There was bowling and billiards,
neither of which Cindy or I partook in.
We did have fun talking to some of the pathologists and spouses from
other hospitals. Recently, Advocate
announced that they were forming a partnership with North Shore Hospitals. I don’t know how this will affect MDP, but a
plus is that this is where Jack Lee moved to a couple of years ago. Jack, you might recall, is the former chair
of Pathology and medical school dean from Loyola who recruited me to Chicago in
the first place. We still talk and share
cases occasionally, but it will be good to have him as official back-up for
when I am out of town for more than a couple of days.
On the Hinsdale front, the teachers and the school board
finally came to a two year agreement, regardless of the back room machinations
of the board. I’m glad this disruptive
episode is past, and I am quite sure that the voters will voice their opinion
on this matter come March, and get rid of one of the bad apples whose seat is
up and put in someone more measured.
Voting in Illinois is coming quite soon, and I wish there was a
candidate to choose from. It’s either
Mr. Ineffective (Quinn), or Despicable Me (Rauner). Cindy and I have been keeping a tally of annoying
political robo-calls, which Rauner has been winning by a landslide. If there were ever a way to get Cindy to NOT
support a charity or politician, it is to get constant calls on their behalf.
On a sad note, my friend Rebecca (Nelson) Williams finally
succumbed to her brain cancer. She
lasted about 18 months from diagnosis, which is around the average survival
time after therapy with glioblastoma, a truly horrible disease. She is leaving behind two sub-teenager
children. Rebecca was one of my
co-residents at Hopkins, and I would describe her as the spunky practical one. She was the resident that would mop the autopsy
floor herself to make sure it got done properly. Those who knew her will miss her.
Love, H.


No comments:
Post a Comment