Sunday, September 6, 2015

sept 6, 2015

Dear everyone,

We are all home now, except for Lucas, who is staying in Rome until December. After Jasper and I got back three weeks ago, he travelled in Germany with Cindy, and then she left and he was joined by Nicola in Bavaria, Austria, and Italy.  I know that were in Munich, Vienna, Pisa, Florence, and Rome.

While In Europe, Nicola found out that she has a job.  I don’t know the specifics.  It’s an AmeriCorps job, working on some kind of literacy project.  Nicola is mostly doing office work, but I think she has the option of some field work as well.  It’s not a high paying position, but she has health benefits (she’ll probably stay on my insurance anyway), and if she lasts a year, they will give her a grant to partially pay for one year of graduate education.  She’s working downtown, and started on Friday, just before Labor Day.  I hope she writes a note to us about the job, once she’s had a bit of time at it.

Jasper’s started his senior year in high school; he’s three weeks in now.  One change is that he transferred into the more advanced math class (Calculus BC from Calculus AB), because somehow he thought there wouldn’t be much homework in Calc AB.  This not being the case, he decided he might as well take the harder class, which so far doesn’t seem to hard.  He’s also reading Caesar in Latin this year instead of Cicero, and likes that a lot more.  He has gotten me to watch a lot of Japanese Anime on TV this summer through the Wii’s interface with the internet.  So far we have seen Psycho pass (pretty good), Code Geass (Plot too complicated, too many characters, not my favorite style of animation, and I’m not a fan of Japanese robots), and we are working on Darker Than Black (I like this so far, but we have only seen about 4 episodes).  I don’t know where Jasper got the time to be familiar with all of these.

Not much else is happening.  It’s super hot outside.  Cindy is watching the US Open. I’m still playing at Tai Chi and Aikido, still pissed off about the crappy IT at work.  Jasper went to The Man From Uncle last night with his friends, and seemed to enjoy it.  I read a rally good new modern fantasy book last week, The Library at Mount Char.  If you are a fan of Neal Gaiman (among others of similar bent), you will most definitely like this, it’s a hella book.

We had Korean BBQ today in honor of Gabe.  Too bad he wasn't here to order for us!


Love, H.

No comments: