Dear Everyone,
I’m eating some left over black olive/jalapeno pizza while
taping the Bears game, and waiting for our time slot to go to the new Star Wars
movie, The
Force Awakens. The pizza was
ordered in honor of Lucas, who returned last night from six months in Europe,
primarily Italy, but also Scandinavia, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Austria and
Tunisia (with Tunisia, Lucas has been on every continent except Antarctica!). Lucas seems much the same, but, in my opinion,
I think his time in Italy was overly sequestered with other students in his
program, and it was less of a cultural exchange than courses on history and art
history. I hope, but fear that this is
due to the ever growing security fears of our Orwellian world. I know when I was in France in the late
seventies (when the Italian Red Brigade was at its infamous peak) no one thought
much about bombs or kidnappings – certainly innocent bystanders did not seem to
be at risk. Maybe if I had been in Northern
Ireland I would have a different opinion. Anyway, don’t try out your Italian on
him in Mexico. Cindy keeps pointing out
that the program is NOT billed as a cultural exchange, but an opportunity for
Classics, Art History and Archaeology majors to study on site. Unlike many term abroad programs that have
classes only a few times per week, Lucas was in the classroom, museum or
historical site 3-6 hours per day.
As everyone who gets this letter knows, Jasper was accepted
to Carnegie Mellon by early decision, so he is definitely going to be in
Pittsburgh next year. We are all pretty
excited, and I don’t know who feels more relief – Jasper or Cindy. As Cindy put it on her Facebook page (I
paraphrase) three kids, multiple college trips, many applications (I would add
23 years of raising them), and it’s finally over. We still have a lot of
friends in Pittsburgh to look out for Jasper if necessary, and I hope I can get
him up to my old aikido club once in a while to participate in their Iaido practice. We’ll see if he has the will and the time.
I often communicate with Joey and Aaron about recent books
that I liked, so I won’t discuss these here, other than these two: Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits
by ‘David Wong’, the author of John Dies At the End (we
are going to try to watch this on Netflix), and Crooked
by Austin Grossman - - a great read for anyone who remembers the sixties, and
Joey informed me that the book on tape uses a character actor who sounds like Nixon
- - totally over the top. . I did see a
recent Netflix series, Jessica Jones,
which I liked a lot. Also, the Syfy
channel is going to have a series based on Lev Grossman’s The
Magicians. There was a sneak preview
I saw last week; this series looks pretty good if you enjoyed his books.
Nothing much is new at work.
Now that Jasper is in swim practice or at swim meets most Saturday
mornings, I have been going into work to help out the pathologist on call. Often, the weekend workload is more than any
other day of the week, and it seems stupid to make one person shoulder all of
it. We are having a ‘Secret Santa’ party
at work; by chance I selected Jami Walloch, so I got him a fitness kit for the
older than 60 set: ibuprofen, ben-gay, Band-Aids, etc.
I hope you all have a good time in Cancun!
Love, H.


No comments:
Post a Comment