Dear everyone,
I am writing this letter a day early because I am leaving
for Boston tomorrow to go to a three day course on GI pathology (actually, I am
skipping out a little early because the end of the course is on liver disease,
in which I have no interest or expertise - - luckily, a couple of my colleagues
take on liver biopsies). I hope to see
Isaac for dinner one of the evenings I am there.
The main topic of this letter was going to be the Seder
dinner at Andy and Gail’s last Saturday on the second day of Passover. We got there around 5:45 and had some cocktails
in the driveway while some additional religious service took place inside. Then we sat at three separate tables. Cindy and I were with Andy, Gail, and Rob,
Alison, John, and Nancy Feiger. Nicola
and Jasper were at the ‘kids’ table, I think.
The service was a bit long, with many references to Russian Jews in the Soviet
Union in the Haggadah. But we all had a
lot of fun telling our ancient story, and Gail cooked a yummy meal of brisket
(35 lbs!), chicken Marbella (which I since learned is pronounced Spanish style
not Italian [e.g. mar-bay-a, not mar-bell-a]), spicy squash, gefilte fish, matzo,
horseradish, etc. We finished off the
meal with Israeli grapefruit arak. Everything was delicious, and Andy and Gail
were so gracious to host two nights of parties of 35 people.
However, the main story appears to be a fall that Roger had
late Friday night. Roger was in Phoenix
AZ for tennis camp, and he fell down a flight of stairs. The injuries were serious enough that he was
brought to one ER, and then transferred to an ICU at a more advanced hospital. The
hospital tried to call Barbara at home in the early hours of the morning with
all of this information, but her phone wasn’t properly in the cradle, and did
not ring. They got hold of Gail at 4 AM
(Andy was in New Orleans), and she went over to Barbara’s house, but didn’t
disturb her until around 5-6. She tried to text Cindy and me, but we astutely don’t
bring our cells phones upstairs in ordinary circumstances, so we didn’t know
anything until about 7:45. I have yet to
actually speak to a physician in Arizona, although I have been in communication
with several of the ICU nurses, as well as Roger, who sounds pretty feisty. As I understand it, Roger has some fracturing
of his facial bones. More alarming was a
possible brain hemorrhage (subdural?). I think this might be why he was
transferred to the ICU of the other hospital.
However, subsequent CTs have shown, so far, resolution of the bleed, and
Roger will probably be transferred to a step-down unit this evening and likely
discharged tomorrow. An unanswered question so far is when it will be safe for
him to travel home, and whether he should do this on his own. We don’t have answers to these
questions. Luckily, Owen is in San
Francisco, heading back to Minneapolis, and perhaps it will end up that he
diverts his trip home with pit stops in Phoenix and Chicago.
Update Sunday AM
The neurosurgeon finally reached me last night around
8:45. He thought the initial CT scan
that purported to show a brain bleed was probably over called. Subsequent CTs have been negative; although,
Roger should probably get another one in 2-4 weeks to make sure he doesn’t have
a chronic subdural hemorrhage. He will also need to see a plastic facial surgeon; he definitely has some small fractures. He also suffered a concussion during his fall. The plan
was to get Roger discharged this morning, and for him to fly back to Chicago on
Monday, as scheduled, with his fellow tennis players, with Gail and Barbara to
arrange wheelchair pick-up and delivery at the two airports.
What else? Cindy and
I just rented and saw Birdman,
with Michael Keaton. This is a
meta-movie about Keaton (who years ago played, successfully, as Batman, and
then left the franchise) starring as an older actor who years ago played a
batman-like comic book character. His
character writes produces directs and acts in a Broadway play based on a novel
by Raymond Carver. It won several big
Oscars, justly for cinematography - - it has many long, claustrophobic and
somewhat nauseating tracking shots. The
ending is ambiguous, and apparently
the writers took a lot of liberties with Carver’s story. It is worth a rental, though, but I liked the
Grand Budapest
Hotel more.
Love, H.


No comments:
Post a Comment