Dear everyone,
Last week was bit more active than this one. A Hermit thrush crashed into our window a
week ago Monday,
The thrush recovered and flew off after about ten minutes
and then a week ago Tuesday, my pathology partnership took
us all to a Cubs game. Several of us
drove to the central laboratory in Rosemont, where we boarded a bus with about
20 other people for an hour-plus long drive to Wrigley Field. Alas, it wasn’t the party bus, but a regular
intercity vehicle. The bus dropped us
off at Irving Park and Seminary, and then we walked south for about a half mile
along a narrow strip of greenery called Kelly Park. We watched the game from one of the left field rooftops. Basically, the owners of the building had
bought out the third floor, which they turned into a bar / buffet area with
some big screen TVs. You could then walk
up the roof, which had been improved upon with a lot of structural steel, and a
set of bleachers that must have gone at least ten rows high. There was also a bar and a grill top on the
roof, as well as a set of toilets, some lounge furniture around TVs, and some
fireplaces. Unfortunately, the Cubs had
recently erected (two years ago?) Jumbotrons on both the right and left field
walls, and the view of the field (already pretty distant) is now greatly
compromised. Perhaps if the Ricketts buy
everything around the park, they could mount a jumbo TV screen on the back of
the jumbotron for the roof top people to watch.
I ended up sitting in the lounge furniture and watching the TV instead
of the game. This was interesting,
because it was on about a 10 second delay, so you would hear groans or cheers
coming from the stadium, and you knew that you had to pay attention to the
television. A rooftop game is a fun
experience, especially on a warm summer evening, but the ball park is better.
Our view of the field (jumbotron on right)
Central field bleachers concessionary
Right field rooftops
Statue of Harry Carey
The red line stop on Addison
Blue W was flying by the end of the game (we had to leave early)
The last couple of weekends were not particularly
exciting. Last weekend Jami and I
induced Rasheed Hammadeh to do one of our circuit training work-outs; he bagged
it about halfway through, and went up to the kitchen to teach Caroline Walloch
how to make a special Middle Eastern condiment that was made of Turkish pepper
paste (something like this http://www.souschef.co.uk/turkish-mild-pepper-paste-biber-salcasi.html),
ground walnuts, grapeseed oil, pomegranate molasses, and parmesan cheese. I took a few ounces home - - it truly is
delicious. This weekend I went to the Myths
and Legends Brewing company to pick up Andy’s birthday present (which I
ordered 15 months ago). I won’t say
anymore, except to say it is way better than stinky cheese, and the competition
is on.
I’m writing this letter and taping the Bears game, as is my
usual protocol, but I almost afraid to watch the game (they won, but just barely, against a team equally bad). I have been watching Breaking Bad and Lucas Cage on Netflix. We
rented the Lady in
the Van with Maggie Smith. This was
pretty cute and maybe good viewing for all of you Downton Abbey fanatics
who need a Maggie Smith fix.
Love, H.










No comments:
Post a Comment