Sunday, January 1, 2017

Jan 1, 2017

Dear Everyone,

We are back from Mexico.  This was a pretty placid journey - - I think we were most anxious a week ago Sunday morning when we got to Midway, and found a long, somewhat disorganized line for check-in.  Nevertheless, we made it through, and had an uneventful flight to Cancun and no issues with our transfer to the Club Med.

I had a great time: I was able to exercise every day for about two hours, went swimming, played petanque, did archery, discussed two books (Sum and Hadji Murat), teased my nephews, nieces, grandnieces and nephews, and 1st cousins once removed, had many alcoholic drinks, and ate too much food.  Although I don’t think the New Year’s Eve dinner was that spectacular, I felt the average meal this year was excellent.  I especially liked the dinner that had a lot of North African dishes – tagines, harissa, spiced chickpeas etc.  (This reminded me of muhammarah, and I showed Nicola how to make one version this evening.)  Other highlights of the trip - -Jasper doing the trapeze at the Circus, and doing a release and catch from the bar. Getting third place in the archery competition. Reading about 7 books.  I think our major complaint would be how humid our bedrooms were.  I ended up sleeping on the small couch in our room because the bed was so damp. And when we packed up our luggage this morning, Lucas and I noted mold growing on our bags! Cindy has a lot of laundry to do, since even clothes that were never worn seem damp and musty. I don’t know why the air conditioner performed so poorly.  I would have been happier with the room warmer if less wet.

Our flight home was even less uneventful.  We were checked in almost immediately, left on time and arrived early, and were processed through customs quickly.  Midway / Southwest is the way to go if the airport is not too far for you!  We were pretty successful in cleaning out our refrigerator before we left, but we had rice and black-eyed peas available, so I made some Hoppin’ John to celebrate the New Year.

I have to work tomorrow.  Even though the other Advocate hospitals have the day off, the surgeons (or some surgeons) at Christ decided that wanted to work on Jan 2, so we have to cover.  Something similar was afoot on December 26th, but one of the main operators, Dr. Krueger (the breast surgeon) had to cancel her Monday cases because the radiologists had scheduled that day off.  It would not be an exaggeration to state she was unpleased with this decision on their part. The hospital has had a decrease in the quality of radiology over the last 6 months, because, for business / political reasons, Advocate did not renew the contract with the previous radiology group (who did not have an exclusive contract with Advocate, and were providing services for other hospital networks). Thus, a new group started up in July.  The new group is less experienced, and I don’t think they were prepared for the volume and complexity of the work at Christ.  Hey, only the patients will suffer…I think the pathologists felt a bit of schadenfreude when all of this happened.  Certainly we hope this experience would make Advocate wary about not renewing the pathologists’ contract (and I think we would be a lot harder to replace).

Cindy picks up Meeko tomorrow!


Love, H.

No comments: