Dear Everyone,
Lucas left for Greece on Thursday, and after a couple of
nights in Heraklion, Crete,
he is now at his site, Mochlos. Here is another web site. I
don’t know how important this particular area was, but it was occupied for a
long time. I’m sure Lucas will be able to tell us all a lot more by the end of
the summer. Cindy and I, and Cheryl Jenner (Cindy’s sister) will meet him in
Crete in August. I’m guessing it will be
hot.
It is hot this weekend (finally), but not so much last Memorial
Day weekend, where we had, in my opinion, perfect weather: sunny skies, a soft
breeze, and temperatures in the mid-seventies.
On Sunday I took Lucas and Jasper to the relatively newly opened
zip-line park (it opened last summer) in Bemis Woods. This is about
three miles from our house (you could bike there). The morning looked like rain, but by 2:00,
the time of our reservations, the weather had cleared nicely. On arrival we were given harnesses and had a
ten minute safety lecture on how to attach our carabiner and cable trolley. Each
of the five courses started with a rope ladder climb, and ended with a zip line
ride, but each course was progressively more challenging. Under the watchful
eye of the instructor, we climbed the first ladder which led immediately to a
zip line. Then, the second ladder which
had two easy obstacles (one of which was to sit in your harness and pull
yourself along a rope using the trolley system, basically to prove to people
how safe the whole apparatus was). The
last three courses were harder, although still not difficult enough for Jasper
and Lucas. There were cargo nets to
climb, a variety of bridges to cross, a Tarzan jump into a cargo net, and the
last zip line must have been almost a block long. You are up high in the canopy,
which gives a very different view of the world.
While waiting for our turn to go on the last zip line, a red-tailed hawk
flew into a nearby tree, and we were at eye level with it. We did the course pretty quickly (two hours
total, and part of it was waiting for slower parties ahead of us). The park reminded me a lot of the one the
kids and I did on our barge trip in France almost ten years ago. Surprise - - the company that builds these
parks is British, but all of the engineers are French. It might have been the same firm. We have the
ability to get discounted tickets for the remainder of the year in case anyone
is interest in coming out this way.
before we started
climbing the ladder
one of the more difficult bridges
Zip line
Nothing else is new at home.
Jasper is staying with us this summer; he has a part-time job as a swim
instructor for one of the local swim clubs.
Not much to report on at work, either. I had a recent case of a 31 year old woman
with a cerebellar mass that looked like a medulloblastoma microscopically. However, the radiologic imaging was a bit
peculiar, and she was also old for this diagnosis (this is usually a tumor of
people below 25). I sent it to some
colleagues at St. Jude’s Hospital for genetic testing. They agreed the cases looked like a medullo,
but genetically, it appeared to be a worse tumor, maybe a glioblastoma. I’m sure that ten years ago no one would have
thought twice about the microscopic diagnosis, which goes to show we have
learned some things. Unfortunately, the
tumor is in an inoperable location, and the treatments that are usually
effective for medulloblastoma are going to be inadequate for her tumor. I’ve
got another peculiar case in San Francisco right now.
A friend of mine from Hopkins (he was a resident a year
below me, and then a neuropathology fellow), Dan Brat, just resigned his
position at Emory, where he has been for the last ~17 years, to take a job as
chairman of Northwestern’s pathology department. I hope we will have some time to visit. His brother is also on the national stage - -
Dave Brat, one of the US
representative ‘freedom caucus’ members who beat Eric Cantor for one of
Virginia’s seats.
I feel obligated to set down my disgust and abhorrence with
Trump’s pulling out of the Paris accords.
I don’t think that is will make much difference, since he is already
gutting the environmental programs of this country as much as possible, and I
think wise heads in private industry are trying to green up as much as
possible, but as a symbolic gesture it makes us look even stupider than usual. China is going to drink our milkshake.
Love, H.






No comments:
Post a Comment