Dear everyone,
Time has been speeding by this summer. Of greatest latest note has been the flash
flooding in Lake County. The bridge on
Clavey Road was underwater, although the house was high enough to remain
dry. Barbara and Roger were able to
drive in and out of four inches of water on their driveway if they went very
slowly. Fink Park, Solel, and the front
five acres were still underwater days later.
Large institutions like Lake Forest Hospital and Great America in Gurnee
had to close down. Try to have a house on a slope!
Cindy travelled to Albany this weekend for a Scalzo family
meet-up. We will all be going out there
later in the fall when Cindy’s sister Joanne plans to get married. Meanwhile Jasper and I have been roughing
it. I got some halal spicy lamb sausage
and pita bread at the Pete’s Fresh Market near the dojo, and made some
cucumber-yogurt-garlic-lemon-dill sauce (tzatziki?), and we ate some kind of Middle Eastern
wrap. Of note, I also tried a bakery near Christ where I can buy fatayer, which is something
like a lamacun. It’s not exactly the same, but still
delicious.
I tried a second experiment with my Father’s Day fermenter -
- Persian whole cucumber, dill, garlic, jalapeno, and a little onion and
ginger. The pickles are tasty and
crunchy, but some of them had a hole
along their centers! This may have
related to the freshness (or lack thereof) of the cucumbers I bought in the
supermarket. Maybe next time I will get
pickling cucumbers from a farmers’ market.
Very little else seems to be happening presently. I have read some good books lately, chief of
which was the final book of Robert Jackson Bennett’s Divine Cities trilogy,
City
of Miracles. Nicola and I had both
been eagerly anticipating this book, which held up pretty well.
Nothing much to report on at work either. Ken
Lukhard, the president of Christ Hospital will be retiring at the end of
the year. He was the head for 12 years,
and oversaw a lot of building projects – the outpatient center, the new patient
tower, and the new ER. Christ gained at
least 30% capacity in his time. He is going to be tough to replace, and he has
the luck of leaving on a high note - - this year it looks like the Advocate
system may be in the red. I think the
system may be out 200 million dollars, a lot of which, I suspect, is secondary
to the State of Illinois; near default status.
And who knows what the financials will be after the Republicans finish
writing their turd sandwich health care law.
Maybe we can go to Russia for medical care.
Love,
H.


No comments:
Post a Comment