Sunday, November 26, 2017

November 26, 2017

Dear everyone,

It’s just post-Thanksgiving, so I don’t know how much I will put in this - - just about everyone was here in Chicago.

The festivities started earlier in the week, with a bunch of people in for the investment committee meeting.  Danica was not at this meeting, but Aaron Ali made his first. We spent some time talking about asset allocation, and came to the decision that we had too much in domestic (US) equities.  So we will sell some off.  The problem is that almost everything else is also too expensive, and we don’t necessarily want to hold a bunch of cash.

After the meeting we all got together and had dinner at Meg’s café, in Glencoe.  The food was ok, but not great, and even though it was Saturday night, they were out of several items.  I had a butternut squash soup (too sweet), and a chicken pot pie.  The advantage of eating here is its proximity to the Writer’s Theatre (which I recall getting some architectural write-ups in the Tribune some years ago).  It is a nice building, and we saw their production of Wilde’s “The Importance of Being Earnest”.  I think the actors either did not play it with either sufficient faux-seriousness, or with enough campiness.  It’s not a play you should stay in the safe middle zone.  It was fun, but the play is over 120 years old, and I think is starting to show its age.  Maybe it is time to rehabilitate some Wodehouse.

The beginning of the ‘Four Days of Thanksgiving’ started off at Andy and Gail’s house, which really, at least for me, turned into a real “Drinksgiving”, Andy being quite liberal in his pouring. I sampled bourbon barrel aged beer, whiskey, tequila, and then I lost track.  Gail prepared a mushroom casserole and a vegetarian chili.  We played “No Thanks” and Chicago Express.  Joey’s friend Avi wanted to start a secondary market in railroad stock. I had a weird conversation with Eli’s (Jacob’s friend) parents.

Thursday we did some cooking (I cooked up one batch of pulled chicken South Carolina mustard style) and cleaning in Hinsdale, but then drove out to Barbara and Rogers.  There were three turkeys (one smoked by Joey) and six pies.  I think there were about 40 people at the party, including Bruce Patterson and his wife Barbara.

Friday I got up early to prepare a second batch of pulled chicken, this time Southwest chipotle style, and then went into work for 2/3 of the day.  Lucas and Jasper helped set up our home for the influx of about 25 people.  We had honey roasted almonds, home-made fermented cauliflower/carrots/peppers, Roquamole, two styles of pulled chicken, coleslaw, southwestern rice with corn, beans and peppers.  Lucas made two batches of ice cream, one honey, and one coffee, and the wonderful cookies that the kids had decorated earlier in the day. Aaron brought a game called Skyfall that we all enjoyed.

Yesterday I went to tai chi, work, and then the gym (I really needed to go to the gym!), and then back to Barbara and Roger’s.  We had leftovers, as well as a bunch of pizza from Barnaby’s.  Afterwards there were games of Boggle, Scrabble, Skyfall, Captain Sonar, and Quiplash - - Barron Trump better look out for the squatty potty!

Jasper has headed back to CMU, and we are trying to get the house ready for some carpet installers - - we are redoing a couple of rooms and getting new hallway and stair runners.

I just finished ready a horrifying non-fiction book, Kids These Days, about the rise of ‘human capital’ among today’s Millenials.  Increased productivity has decreased labor costs and shrunk the job market, leading to hypercompetition among this generation, and the assumption of debt, and off the books training  (or offset training to schools) to reduce hiring risks by businesses and corporations. This book, along with Dream Hoarders and Hillbilly Elegy, have been pretty depressing looks at the modern American economy.

Talking about depressing, it’s time for me to watch the Bears.

Love,


H.

No comments: