Monday, April 9, 2018

April 9, 2018


Dear everyone,

I was at home alone this weekend.  Cindy’s Dad, John Scalzo died last weekend.  He was 1 day shy of his 79th birthday, April 1st.   John had been diagnosed with some kind of carcinoma about five months earlier, but he never had a definite mass in any organ (what’s called a tumor of unknown origin).  He had a course of broad spectrum chemotherapy, but that did not lead to a reduction in lymph node swelling or symptoms.  He opted for home hospice care 6 weeks ago, and declined. John was a surveyor and highway engineer for New York State, as well as a talented fix anything sort of person who built the two houses Cindy grew up in.  The last time I saw him was this past October, at Joanne’s wedding - - at least he was able to see all of his children reach adulthood.

Cindy went to the memorial service with Nicola and Lucas.  Jasper’s lab schedule and poor flight timing made transportation to/from Albany and Pittsburgh difficult, and I couldn’t make the memorial service, as I was on call this weekend, and it was hard to change the date at short notice. I was pretty busy; I had over 80 cases on Saturday (and about 10% required extra work up).  In the afternoon I went to Jami Walloch’s to work out and have dinner.  I was just getting in my car to leave, when my favorite people, the Gift of Hope called and said they wanted to do an immediate liver biopsy.  This was a case that he told me earlier would not happen (if at all) until Sunday, or maybe even Monday.  Apparently one of the transplant centers wanted a biopsy done at his bedside (by an interventional radiologist) to determine if it was even worth taking him to the OR for organ harvesting.  The donor was about my height, but apparently morbidly obese.  His liver biopsy (which I reviewed around 9:30 PM) was full of fat; they usually don’t use these for transplantation.  I told the Gift of Hope coordinator that I refused to come back for another liver biopsy if they chose to bring him to the OR (they have, on occasion, asked us to come in for a second look on these cases that have bedside biopsies).  It’s a total waste of resources for us to look at a liver twice within 24 hours. So far they haven’t called me in.

Another frustration at work is the complete dismantling of transcription services.   You may recall that several years ago we were forced to move to a voice recognition program.  This (after two years of tweaking) works well enough.  It’s maybe 95% accurate.  We had been steadfastly refusing to let them take away our dependence on transcription for the frozen section area.  It’s a high pressure area, with a lot of other things going on (sometimes 3 multiple cases) and surgical procedures that are immediately modified by our diagnoses.  I don’t want to have my attention split between a crappy computer system and patient care.  No such luck now.  They decided they couldn’t spare even 30 minutes a day to accommodate us.  It’s not so amusing to hear the doublespeak of administrators everywhere (not just in hospitals) about the importance of high quality products, when it is clear the only thing important to them is keeping their job, which usually translates to keeping costs down.  I understand that the mission can’t be completed without money, but there is such waste of resources everywhere (some of which is inevitable), and when the people who are on the ground are begging to keep some service alive, the people in charge can’t seem to find their way to allocate the resources properly.

In other news, Lucas found out he has been accepted to the University of Denver’s Geography program, so now he needs to choose between that and UNC Greensboro.  The latter is giving him more money, but Denver is a happening place, and he could hang with Jacob and Christine.  He has never visited the school, so he is flying there from Albany today.  Nicola just got back from a trip to New Mexico (since most of her work is on computer, she has the ‘luxury’ of being able to travel and work at the same time).  We did not go to a Passover Seder this year, but I did buy some boxes of matzo (not kosher for Passover, however).

The weather has been absolutely frightful, with snow and temperatures in the daytime in the 30s.  More like December or February.  I can’t imagine playing baseball in these conditions (In fact, the Cubs home opener was cancelled today because of snow).  I hope it starts to warm up soon.

Love, H

No comments: