Dear everyone,
We are a two dog family now.
Robbie is a very quiet, well behaved, terrier who loves to snuggle. During his 3 weeks here we have not
experienced any serious accidents (two, but these have been our fault). He seems to understand where and when to go
to the bathroom, although we don’t trust him uncrated when we leave the house for
more than a couple of hours. Meeko doesn’t
trust him at all. She is constantly watching
what he is doing (at least when they are both awake; they both spend most of
their time sleeping), just in case he is getting a treat that she is not. It’s going to be ferociously cold and snowy
over the next week, and I will have the joy of taking them out before 7 AM,
when it will surely be well below 0 F.
Fun fun.
Later this afternoon we will be driving up to HP. Gail and Cindy are going to start cataloguing
some of Barbara’s belongings, and then we will go out to dinner with Roger,
Andy, Gail, and Maddie in Highwood. Last
Sunday we ate at Birchwood with the same gang (sans Maddie). Last Saturday Cindy and I took Nicola and Wes
out to dinner for Nikki’s birthday (#26!).
We went to a fun Basque restaurant on 1450 W Chicago Ave (basically
Chicago and Ashland) called Bar Biscay. We had some tapas, and some large
dishes. The most memorable was the
pepper stuffed with sausage, where the chef had (delightfully) used a heavy
hand with smoked paprika. Dessert was
also memorable – a chocolate ganache bar, and a coconut cake with pumpkin
puree. Nicola got to take home the leftovers.
This past Tuesday I had the honor of being joined by Andy at
a Blackhawks game. The weather was
supposed to be wintry, and I left work with way too much time to spare. Andy was already at the United Center;
however, so our entry was smooth. We
chose poorly for dinner (avoid the BBQ beef at Lillie Qs), but watched a close,
exciting game, which the Hawks (currently worst team in NHL) won in overtime
against the Islanders (currently one of the best teams in the NHL). I will be at another game in a few weeks with
Jami Walloch.
Nothing much is new at work, except that Jami is now
officially retired. We hired him back as
a contractor for half time (and half pay), so he comes in every other
week. His office has been taking over by
Lily Mei, and the dynamic in our office suite has definitely changed. I’m interested see how Jami likes having ½ time
status, since I am planning on retiring at the end of 2020 (given that Japser
will be out of college, our house is paid off, etc.). I’m hoping that I won’t have too many extra
expenses that would require a living wage.
Of course, I could try to work for the federal government, and get no
pay during the constant government shutdowns.
Love, H.


1 comment:
Last night we served a lime coconut curd in the ceramic cups that you made to great eclat: the cups were thought to be the work of a great Korean master - get back to pottery! Write science fiction! 2020 can't come soon enough!!!
Post a Comment