Sunday, March 31, 2019

March 31 2019


Dear everyone,

It’s the last day of March.   It’s sunny out, but still cold - - in the low forties.  We are supposed to get more moderate temperatures this coming week.  I am on call this weekend, but it hasn’t been bad.  It’s been a bit light at work over the last week; we think because of Spring Break.  I only had about 50-60 cases on Saturday (usually it runs in the 80s), so that was a nice break - - although I did get a couple of scares Friday night - - the first was a surprise frozen section while I was on my way home, about 20 minutes from the hospital (why they couldn’t have told us there was a case pending when we called the OR a half hour earlier…).  Luckily, one of my colleagues was still at work, and she was able to handle the case - - the diagnosis of which would not have changed the surgical management (i.e. the surgeons didn’t really need to have a frozen section; they just wanted a diagnosis so they could go out and talk to the family).  Cindy asked me if it would be best if we told some random surgeon not to get frozen sections if one of our children was on the table, to which I replied “Absolutely, frozens only if required for intraoperative guidance, not to satisfy curiosity (if the surgeon’s don’t know what is there already they should have gotten a needle diagnosis first…)”.  Then, my nemesis, Gift of Hope, had a possible transplant late Friday night, but they ended up not calling. I will so glad not to take call anymore in a few years.

Last night we went out with my partner Aimee Kwak and her husband Bryant (he is a foot surgeon in Hinsdale).  We went to Vie and had the usual excellent meal (parsnip flan, charcuterie, gnocchi, apple salad, scallops, sturgeon, pork combo, turkey, hamburger, whitefish, buttercake and lemon sorbet), but I think we all enjoyed the appetizers more than our main courses.  I told the restaurant we were celebrating Cindy’s birthday, so we did get some nice unasked for treats for dessert.  And Cindy and I did go out on her actual birthday (March 27) to a newish restaurant in town, Harry and Eddie’s, where we had a pretty good meal also (fried tomatoes, Thai salad, arugula salad with shrimp, key lime pie).  I am stuffed just thinking about it.  We are looking forward to taking Roger out to a Korean BBQ restaurant next Sunday in the Niles / Morton Grove area, but we haven’t yet settled on a particular place.

I had two vaccines given to me this week.  The first was my second (and final) dose of Hepatitis A.  I had the first injection before our Japan trip.  Now I can eat all the Hepatitis contaminated oysters I want (although I still need to keep an eye out for typhoid and cholera…). For my second shot I had my first dose of the Shingrix vaccine for chicken pox / shingles.  I get my next dose in June.  I can’t say I’m looking forward to this - - the shot made my right arm sore for a couple of days, and I felt a bit ill afterwards, although that could be my imagination.  Still, I don’t want to get shingles.
The dogs are sleeping now, but Robbie has pretty well integrated himself into our routines.  We still have to lift him up onto couches, but he is getting better at leaping off of them onto the floor.  He has even gone down half a flight of stairs a few times now (when food has been on the line).  He has currently lost over 2.5 lbs since coming to live with us. If he loses another pound or so we can ease him off his North Korean diet. Meeko seems to be recovered from the pancreatitis that struck her after her wanderings Super Bowl weekend.

Last big thing is the big election on Tuesday - - No, not Preckwinkle vs. Lightfoot for Mayor of Chicago - - the D86 School district referendum to raise taxes for Hinsdale Central and South High Schools.  This has turned into a terrible fight over a relatively small tax increase (over 20 years).  Central desperately needs the money for the physical plant and other stuff.  Without the money there will be no sports teams, clubs, etc.  The opposition has been feeding fixed income empty nesters lines on how they will be kicked out onto the street because they won’t be able to pay their increased tax bills.  People (or at least NO voters) have been ripping out YES signs from other people’s lawns…it’s all over Facebook.  Looking forward to  the end of this idiotic distraction.

Love, H.

No comments: