Dear everyone,
The end of October has been a whirl of activity, which will
continue into November. Starting from last week, Cindy and I went to a hockey
game, below is a picture from our seats - - these are the good ones, where I
have three games (Andy Brown and Jami Walloch are splitting the other six). I also have some tickets in the way upper
reaches of the United Center. The Blackhawks are not doing very well this year,
but any hockey game is fun to watch; the players move so freaking fast.
Face off!
Last Sunday, after aikdo, Cindy and I went downtown to see
our first opera of this season, The Barber of
Seville. Warner Brothers
nonwithstanding (e.g, this
cartoon), Rossini’s music has been earworming me since then. I thought the opera itself was average. Most of the music is for male parts, and the
female voices did not impress me. I
thought the set was a bit blah, and the acting pushed into the farcial aspects
of the opera a little further than necessary.
But we had a good time!
Immediately after the opera was over, Cindy drove me to
Midway so I could fly to New York on the annual investment trip. It took over an hour to get there from
downtown (luckily my flight was after 8).
We realized I could have gotten there faster if I had taken the ‘EL’. Anyway, my flight was delayed about 30
minutes, and I arrived at LGA around 11:45.
LaGuardia is still a mess of construction, and you have to walk to one
end of the airport and take a five minute shuttle bus to the taxi stand. Luckily, I was one of the last people on the
shuttle, so I didn’t have to wait for it to fill. I got to the Library Hotel around 12:15, so I missed
the Sunday night dinner at Ai Fiori.
Monday was the day for us to walk from manager to
manager. We saw four of them, with a
break for lunch. I would be hard put to say much about any of them without
consulting my non-existent notes. That
evening we had dinner with my friend Michael Bellacosa, Alison’s friend Jodie,
and the Weiss’s at the Seafire Grill. We had a prix fixe menu which was quite
good. I enjoyed the squid appetizer, but
I should have ordered the grilled branzino for dinner. After dinner, Michael and I went to the
fascinating Campbell Bar,
attached to Grand Central Station.
It was nicer looking when I got it, I had cut it up a bit by this time
Tuesday we had meetings in the hotel. One of them piqued my interest, a small firm
that has an interesting way of ‘stratifying’ the S&P index. You might not make as much when the market
swings upwards (especially if the index is moving because of a cluster of
similar companies), but on the other hand, you may lose less on downturns. However, their index costs more than a
Vanguard index, and we have not usually been interested in buying a position of
stock indices.
For dinner we went to a Korean BBQ restaurant, Dons Bogam. We had menu advice from Gabriel Brown, and my
colleague Aimee Kwak. We all sat at a
traditional table (on the floor with a hole cut under the table, with a cushion
and a seat back. Roger had trouble
getting out after the meal). As Gabe
recommended, we ate until we were full, and then ate some more. The wait staff, unusually (I think) for a Korean restaurant was very friendly and very helpful.
cucumber soju
Glass noodles (Japchae). We also had Korean pancake,s and steamed and fried dumplings for appetizers
side dishes (Banchan) #1
Banchan #2
Unseasoned Ribeye (Deungsim)
Unseasoned short ribs (Saeng Galbi)
Marinated short rib (Yangnyeom Galbi)
Mushroom platter [my portion] (Beoseot Modum Gui)
Spicy short ribs (Maeun Galbi)
Cold green tea noodles with spicy sauce [1/2 had steak tartar]
(Bibim-naengmyeon and Yukhoo Bibim-naengmyeon)
I had a surprise when I woke up the next morning - - my
flight home was cancelled, and I had been auto-booked on a flight on
Thursday. This was no good for me; I
transferred to a flight leaving LGA around noon - - which ended up having about
an hour delay. So, I only made one
meeting
Wednesday morning, an interesting investment group buying senior water
rights in the southwest US.
Halloween around here was terrifically cold with both rain
and snow. Since it was mid-week, we only
had about 3 dozen trick-or-treaters, where we usually get around 80-90. Lots of leftovers here at home. Then, this
Saturday, instead of going to work after tai Chi, I came home, and we went to a
wine tasting held at Vistro. We ended up buying two bottles each of a Sancerre, Cabernet Franc, and a Syrah/carignan/grenache blend for Thanksgiving; we were joined by the Wallochs and the
Pyles. Afterwards we went out for a late
lunch at Fuller House.
Not much is new at work.
All of the Advocate hospitals are in the process of moving to Epic (the Wisconsin hospitals have already
done so). Epic is a really good hospital
patient information system - - I used it at Loyola. However, our hospitals are moving into it
piecemeal, so there are a couple of the Illlinois hospitals in the system, but
most of us have yet to move over. Christ
will be the last, come this July. The
issue for me is that I get consult neuropathology cases from all of the other
hospitals, but I don’t have Epic access.
So I can’t look up pertinent patient information like laboratory values,
patient history, etc. This is a big
problem for me, and no one seems to know how to fix it (or no one cares enough
to get me into contact with someone who can). Well, just fourteen months to go.
Ok, time to turn on the Bears to see if they can pull out of
their slump (answer - no).
Love,
H.














No comments:
Post a Comment