Sunday, April 12, 2020

April 12, 2020





Dear everyone,

It’s about an hour before my Zoomed Tai Chi lecture from Master Liao, which I wouldn’t normally be able to go to ( it’s a drag to go to Oak Park, I’m not one of his ‘advanced’ students, and also, I don’t want to pay the Tai Chi center dues).  His last session probably had at least 50 people.  I’m not sure, since I do zoom on my cell phone instead of a computer, and you can only see a few people at a time at most.  I have also been doing zoom aikido, which is mostly stretching, some individual movement exercises, and some sword work (I think a staff is too long for people to do in their homes - - there has already been some sword-caused ceiling damage at someone’s house (granted, that guy is about 6’4”…)).  I’m trying to convince an aikido friend of mine to run a yoga class, and my Tai Chi instructor to run a class on the computer as well.

Things at work are very slow.  We have a temperature check to get into the hospital, and have to wear masks in public spaces.  It’s hardly necessary in the pathologists’ offices - - virtually all of us became positive in the last month.

Normally, there are 7-9 pathologists every day from 8-5:30, and we look at about 100 cases in surgical pathology.  We average 10-15 frozen sections, and 6-10 fine needle aspirations daily.  The combined surgical schedule, between the outpatient center and the inpatient surgery is usually 15-20 pages long. Now we have 4-5 pathologists in each day from 9-3, there are maybe 20 cases per day, and 1-2 frozen sections and FNAs in a day.  The surgical schedule is only 2 pages long.  It’s nice to only work three days per week, but my income is clearly going to take a big hit!  At least I have a job.  Also, there will be a lot of pent-up demand when the immediate crisis is over, so I expect to be overly busy later in the year.  Maybe we will shove it all on our new hires.  We have three starting from May to July.

After a week of albuterol and benzonatate, my cough is pretty much gone, but now I am taking Allegra since the trees are pollenating.  I went to work-out at Jami’s house.  We did about 70 minutes, but I only lifted about 80% of what I normally do.  Since I am off Monday, I plan on going there for a work out.  At home I have been practicing my tai chi, aikido weapons kata, walking about 1.5 – 2 miles, and maybe 15 minutes of calisthenics (burpees, sit-ups, etc.).  Not every day!

We have been eating well.  Jasper and Vivian cook dinner a couple of times per week, and many lunches. They’ve made mung beans with tapioca, pad siew, Chinese hot pot,

 fettuccini Alfredo, chicken parmesan, pizza, and of course Korean Ram-Don. Cindy and I have done some home-chefs, sour cream pancakes, rack of lamb with pierogis, shepherd’s pie, stuffed peppers, skirt steak, etc. We have also gotten take out, most notably from the Aviary (osso bucco with polenta, ratatouille and panna cotta with raspberry coulis). 






Clearly, I need more exercise.

We have been playing some board games: Wingspan, Sagrada, and Suburbia.  Jasper has a lot more for us to try. I have been reading a bit faster than my usual pace, but I have also been playing games on my cell phone.  I don’t think I’ve read anything particularly memorable.  We have been watching some TV, one show called Dark, a German science-fiction thriller, and another called Ragnorak, a Norwegian fantasy thriller.  Maybe we will try Kingdom, a show that takes place in 16th century South Korea where a plague is gripping the land.  And maybe I will try to watch the second season of Happy.  I would be willing to give The Wire a go, but I don’t know I have a way to get that (I can get it through the public library, which is shuttered right now …)

Happy Easter and Pesach to all who celebrated.

Love,

H.


Ready for anything


No comments: