Dear Everyone,
It is almost exactly a week since my youngest child
graduated from college. Jasper slept in,
but Cindy and I were downstairs (she in her PJs) in comfortable chairs watching
the video commencement exercises. There
was a 20 minute “pre-show” filled with student videos and photos of student
life, along with side-scrolling congratulations from family members (Cindy says
we sent one in, but I did not see it).
The commencement itself was only about 25 minutes long, starting with a
one minute introduction by Ted
Danson (a CMU drama school grad), and various officials of the school,
including the president and the provost.
Degrees were officially conferred at 9:22 Central Time. It was the best ceremony ever!
Jasper and Vivian are still here. We thought they would be moving to a sublet
in Hyde Park this weekend, but the management company has been asking for some
extra paperwork, and at the same time have been slow to respond to us. Probably next weekend. Vivian has started up
her summer internship, working remotely, with the chip maker Micron, but Jasper’s summer prospects are
pretty dried up.
Work is slowly getting back to normal. The Departmental staff are all working the
full week now, but the typical day is still over early. On the other hand, I was the frozen service
on Thursday, and had a 12 hour day with about eight large resection specimens
(and I am not looking forward to Tuesday when I will be buried beneath a pile
of glass slides for analysis). Eight big
cases was a big caseload even in normal times.
Meanwhile, Joe Pyle’s replacement, Ritu Ghai started a couple of weeks
ago. She is primarily a breast
pathologist who had been at Rush for the last ten years. She was also one of my residents at
Loyola. The slow pace of work has a good
introduction to all of our systems. She
will have to learn new stuff all over again when I go from one information
system (from Care Connection and CoPath to Epic and Epic Beaker) to
another. This was supposed to happen in
July, but now probably not until mid-autumn.
The new pathologists who start in July will therefore have the same
problem.
Meanwhile it has been Zoom Tai Chi and Aikido. Tai Chi is pretty weird, because it almost
like a religious or meditative sermon mixed in with small portions of tai chi
exercises. In aikido we have learned a bunch of weapon katas from other organizations
that we wouldn’t have otherwise. I also
have family office and investment Zoom meetings, and a Zoom book club meeting in
the next few weeks. For the book club we
are reading Hollow
Kingdom, which I do not recommend. I
just finished Pete Dexter’s Paris
Trout, which I strongly do.
The kids made Korean bulgogi for us last night, and pork
belly kim chee stew last week. We are
going to cook some food on the grill this afternoon, and take it to Roger’s; Robbie
got a much-needed dog salon visit—he looked like a different dog when he got
home!
Love, H.
Before
After
Bolgogi





No comments:
Post a Comment