Sunday, September 13, 2020

September 14, 2020

 

Dear everyone,

I guess I will start off with some sad news.  Ritu Ghai, one of my old residents from Loyola, and a new colleague at Christ (she was at Rush for ten years) since May, was informed last Tuesday that her ~70 year old dad had respiratory distress  and had been admitted to the hospital with in northwest India (about 8 an hour drive northwest of Delhi).  Her dad was living in a house with her much younger uncle, and the uncle’s kids, all who also had signs of Covid, but who had recovered or were recovering.  Her dad received all of the treatment necessary (steroids, remdesivir, antibiotics against a bacterial infection, anticoagulants), but his O2 saturation continued to worsen, and he died on Saturday.  This is emotionally compounded by the fact that her mom died of pneumonia about 10 years ago.  Two of her sibs travelled to India, and they arrived there Thursday/Friday (she has two in the US and one in Australia), but clearly Ritu is going to be out from work for a week or two.  It’s not easy to get all of the paperwork necessary to travel there - - and I hope she will be able to re-enter the US.  She is antibody positive, so I don’t think she will need to quarantine on her eventual return.

Otherwise, work is still slowly returning back to normal.  Maybe we are at about 80% now.  I am still able to leave most days by 4:00, which feels very weird.  I hope we don’t have a spike in Covid cases (Illinois was getting close last week, but the infection rate has dropped a bit) when the weather gets colder; that would be devastating not only to the hospital system, but Chicago as a whole.

Nicola wrote a great letter about her adventures in Oregon.  This past week, she and Wes moved into an air-conditioned hotel room for a few days when the smoke pollution was at its worst, just to get some clean air to breath.  They actually couldn’t travel either north to Portland or south to California - - roads were closed on both sides of Eugene! Jasper and Vivian got an elderly, gray, partially toothless cat from a Hyde Park shelter.  They renamed her Kevin Portillo (Jasper has always had a roommate named Kevin, and Vivian is obsessed with Portillo’s Italian beef sandwiches). Vivian is a couple of weeks into remote classes at CMU.  I know Lucas went camping with Jacob and Christine in the last few weeks, but thankfully not when the weather shifted from 90’s to snow and 30 degree weather in one day.

We finally were able to get hold of Gotterdammerung, the last opera on Wagner’s ring cycle.  We missed the performance this spring at the Lyric, and so we saw the Met’s 2011 DVD recording.  The set was pretty amazing, although I read that there were some issues with it during the early live performances.  We watched an act each day (each act is over an hour long).  It could be fun to see the whole cycle in Bayreuth over a short time period someday.  Joey mentioned a book he was looking at about Wagner’s influence in history and the arts over the last 150 years, which sounds fascinating, with potential for being tedious.

Video wise I have been watching Midnight Diner (Owen, you would like these!) on Netflix.  I have read some interesting books lately, including Daughter of the Dark by the Duachenkos, The Resisters by Gish Jen, and Robert Bennett Jackson’s second entry of his second trilogy, Shorefall.  I’ve just started a book about the WW2 in Papua New Guinea, the Ghost Mountain Boys.  As usual, the US was woefully unprepared.  The grandfather of one of my aikido friends was in this fight.

I’m off to have lunch with Roger and Andy to see the Bear’s opener against the Lions. (In other sports, both the Cubs and White Sox are first in their division with only a couple of weeks left in the Baseball season.  And the September sumo basho has begun without either yokazuna!)  Last Monday we had dinner at 1261.  The menu included tomatillo (green) gazpacho, which Roger had been requesting for a while, along with very tasty food from Sunset, including marinated flank steak.  I need to double the amount of avocado in the recipe I use for the gazpacho!.

Love, H.



Robbie as Wotan in Wagner's Seigfried, complete with eye patch, floppy hat, and ash staff


No comments: