Sunday, January 17, 2021

January 17, 2021

 

Dear everyone,

I have had a whole week of retirement!  I don’t want to count the week before this one, because I was taking my second of three courses in Epic.  Somehow, I managed to pass, so now I am a certified Physician Builder.  I would say that and $2.50 would get me on the bus, but they are sending me a certificate, as well as a leatherman (I have tools now, get it). I still have yet to take the course that is more specific to the pathology system in March, but I have been communicating with our Epic managers, and I hope to get some changes moving through the system.  Next week I am having a couple of zoom sessions (well, really Microsoft conferencing app) with the Illinois pathologists on how to do slightly more advanced functions like setting up filters, natural language searching.  I would like some of the other pathologists to also present any tricks they may have figured out, but so far there are no takers.  One big problem I foresee is that any large scale changes will also need to be approved by all of the Wisconsin based pathologists.  So far there is no kind of steering committee with members of both groups; something I find incomprehensible, since the rollout of this system has already been about 12 months.  No wonder there are functions that aren’t optimal.

What else have I been doing?  Because of Covid, my gym is essentially closed.  It was running from mid-July up to mid-November, afterwards they closed the locker rooms except for the bathroom, and required mask wearing 100% of the time.  So, we just put our membership on hold until June, and I literally dusted off my 30 year old Nordic Track, which I have not used regularly for 15 years.  It still works fine, and I am developing a habit of putting Robbie out in the morning, and then exercising for 45 minutes or so.  I am also going to Jami Walloch’s house to lift weights in his basement.  Speaking of Jami, he and his wife Carolyn were in Tennessee last weekend to visit her brothers.  Just as they were packing the car up to leave on Tuesday, Jami suddenly started to have trouble with words and numbers.  He knew he was having a stroke.  Fortunately, they were close to a stroke center, and he was getting a TPA infusion within two hours of his symptoms.  Most striking was his inability to understand numbers.  He could look at them, and knew what they were, but he couldn’t make sense of a calendar or his blood pressure numbers.  Lucky for him it was an embolic stroke (something lodged up in his brain), and not a hemorrhagic one from a small brain blood vessel breaking.  Not unexpectedly, the ischemic area is in his left parietal-occipital area, which probably is where most people store abstract concepts like math.  Although the CT scan was negative for bleeding, there was some evidence that he may have had a few small silent strokes in the past.  Anyway, he recovered almost complete function within a day, and I was lifting with him yesterday.  It looks like he will be a on a blood thinner, a statin, and some anti-hypertensive medications for the future.  He does have a family history of vascular brain events.

I have also been reading, doing tai chi (with some extra classes on tai chi sword and martial applications thrown in; I also hope that Bill Grizzle, my immediate instructor, can start coming out to the house so we can work on our ‘push hands’ two man practice), aikido, watching some MasterClass videos, as well as lectures by Professor Sapolsky at Stanford on Evolutionary sociobiology (these are interesting, but I know most of the material).  Sapolsky also recommended a book called Chaos which I read.  It is interesting, but I am not sure how he will apply it to the class.  My best take away from reading this book is that the universe is only deterministic between certain boundaries, so some amount of free will may be possible.  There’s still hope for us! I have also been trying to write stuff and doing more cooking.  Last week I bought some masa harina and made ‘tamale pie’ - - basically tamale style dough on the bottom of a 9 x 9 pan, a layer of filling, and then another layer of dough, then baked in a bain marie for about an hour.  Delicious, and really easy.  You could make it vegetarian and gluten free!  Because I had all of this masa flour, I tried my hand at tortillas.  Two batches and about 20 tortillas later I think I almost have the hang of it, but I don’t think I will ever have the skills of an abuela. I also made chicken tortilla soup.

I also have been watching a little more TV than usual, the 2nd season of Cobra Kai, a French show that refers to Arsene Lupin (I am a sucker for anything AS related), a biographical series about the Monty Python group, and something about the history of swear words.

I have to leave in a minute to drive to 1261 to watch the Browns – Chiefs game.  Both the Steelers and Bears lost their first playoff game.  We viewed this at Roger’s, and Owen made a delicious dinner of fried hamburgers, roasted potatoes and salad.  After the game this evening, the Buccaneers (Tom Brady) will play the Saints (Drew Brees).  Yesterday, Scott Simon, the announcer on NPR’s weekend edition said that Brees would be refreshed, since he essentially had the prior weekend off, because he had played the Bears!  Boo! Fake News!  I think Chicagoans should hold an insurrection against NPR headquarters in Washington DC.  I’m aghast, I’m sure like most of you, about the events of the past weeks in our capital.  We have become a crappy Eastern European country - - I blame Melania.  (Did you know a new museum opened up in Rome devoted to Caligula’s palace?  Did you know that Caligula had multiple wives, and the last was named Milonia?  Does reincarnation exist?).  Joking aside, there are millions of people who have bought into the lies of Trump and his ilk.  This problem is years in the making, and is not going to go away soon.  Many of the Republican presidents (and other pols) over the last sixty years have been scoundrels or worse.  I don’t understand why people have been voting for them.

Love, H

 

No comments: