Dear everyone,
I am at loose ends. Bread’s baking in the oven, and I have some free time on Saturday,
so here I am again. I do have another
cooking tale (beyond the bread). The Hinsdale
Public Library sponsored a “Chopped!”
challenge. Chopped, if you are not
aware, is a popular 60 minute TV show on the food network. Four chefs are tasked with cooking an
appetizer, a main course and a dessert for of a panel of judges. They get 20 minutes for the appetizer, and 30
minutes each for the other two courses.
After each round, one of the contestant chefs is ‘chopped, and the by
the end of the show one chef is left standing as the winner. The trick is that for each round, each chef
is presented with the same secret basket of ingredients that must be used in
creating their dishes. There are usually
four items in the basket, and usually one doesn’t play well with the
others. The baskets can be sadistic (for
instance, watermelon, sardines, pepper jack cheese and zucchini). The chefs also have access to a well-stocked
pantry and high end equipment. (There
are a lot of spin-off shows as well, like Chopped Teenagers, Chopped Champions,
etc.).
Anyway, the library decided to have a challenge - - there
are no judges or tastings; the winner will declared by voting from via Instagram,
and based on photos and descriptions of each cooks’ dish. This is a pretty minimal cost to the library,
as you will see the ingredients they supplied ran under $5, and I don’t think
they had more than 15 people up to the challenge. I picked up my ingredients, and after a
couple days of discussion, and some call outs to well known chefs (namely
Tamara Brown, Nicola Brown, and Carolyn Walloch), Cindy and I came up with a
recipe, which I will append to this letter, but first some pictures of what we
made last Tuesday.
Brief Description
Last Sunday we went to our last opera this season, Tosca. The plot of this opera is entirely too
melodramatic, and ends in death for all involved, but the music is good and the
singers performed well. We also got to
see the set change between acts 1 and 2, which was interesting. Some of the sets weigh around multiple
tons. Masks are still required at the
Lyric (not surprising, given the average age of an opera devotee), but many
people around us were not wearing them in a serious manner. I hope, like everyone else, there will not be
a wave of the omicron variant as there is in Europe right now. A second booster (the fourth shot) is now
available if you over 50, but I want to put off getting it as long as possible
- - the shots make me ill for a couple of days, and it is unclear to me how
much and how long-lasting the protection of the fourth shot will be. I plan on waiting until the case count begins
to rise more significantly.
Of course, the world has other disasters waiting in the
wings - - the Russian invasion (the upcoming French election after the ongoing
calamity in Hungary), and an extremely frightening climate change report that I
suspect will not be acted upon with alacrity.
Cindy and I also watched “Mare of Easttown”
with Kate Winslet. This is a seven part
(seven hours) crime drama that takes place in a dysfunctional small town in eastern
Pennsylvania. The first three episodes
were a bit slow, but it came into focus as it went on. Still, the identity of the killer was still a
surprise at the end of it. And of
course, the series was really not about the murder mystery, but about the
detective and her friends and family. We
also watched the two day presentation on public television by Ken Burns about
Benjamin Franklin. I found it a bit
slow, and not full of much that I didn’t already know. I read Franklin’s autobiography as a freshman
in college! Franklin was a fascinating
man, and definitely high on my list of “who would I want to be marooned with on
a desert island”, or barring that, at least having a long ‘My Dinner with Andre’
conversation.
I’ve read some interesting books over the last couple of weeks. Jade City, the first
of a trilogy of an Asian gang fantasy; Pond
– a set of short stories linked into a sort of novel - - beautiful writing
(almost poetry sometimes), but I found it hard to follow - - I’m looking
forward to reading her latest, Checkout
19; another piece of literary fiction, Portrait
of an Unknown Lady, which I enjoyed enough that I have ordered up her
earlier work, Optic
Nerve, which I am betting is a book that Owen would like. I also read a book by an Italian linguist, The Greatest
Invention. You can tell the author
is from the continent - - I had trouble often trying to figure out what her
thesis was. Correct me if I am wrong,
but it seems (according to what I understood from this book) that many early
languages started out as some combination of rebuses and word play with
homonyms.
It’s finally warming up a bit, maybe. I’m going to take a birdwalk tomorrow before
Aikido, and later in the evening we are going to our last Blackhawks game this
season. The Hawks were booed by the fans
on Thursday - - they had about four minutes of power play (sometimes with 5 on
3), but were unable to put up any notable shots on goal - - and this was against the
Seattle Kraken, who are arguably an even worse team than the Hawks this
year. At least the Cubs won their season
opener.
Love, H
PS recipe below:
1 Chicken flavored Ramen
14 oz can of Black beans
½ cup dried Cranberries
1 Lemon
4 Bell peppers
1 Habanero pepper, finely diced
1/3 cup diced red onion
1 medium mango, diced (about ½ cup)
1/2 cup Frozen corn
1/3 cup Grape tomatoes
Olive oil
Spices: 1 Tbl chili powder, 1 Tbl cumin powder, 1/2 teasp granulated garlic, pinch salt
1) Cook Quinoa with standard instructions, adding Ramen chicken spice packet for flavor
1) Rehydrate cranberries by covering with water and microwaving 30-60 seconds. Coarsely chop the cranberries
2) Dice the leftover bell pepper, mango and red onion into a serving bowl
3) Add the juice of one lemon and 1 teaspoon olive oil
4) Add the cranberries and habanero
5) Mix and let rest









No comments:
Post a Comment