Saturday, September 24, 2022

September 25, 2022

 

Dear Everyone,

We’ve been home for a couple of weeks now, so it is time for another entry. Our first week back was pretty busy.  Before we left on our European trip, I had signed up for the Hinsdale Public Library spice club.  Each month we get a small container of a spice, and we are expected to make a dish with it.  At the end of three months all the members are supposed to get together at the library for a potluck and I suppose to show off their successes.  I picked up my spice for the month just after we got back (on my weekly book trip).  The spice this month was cardamom.  Cardamom is an interesting spice, because though it has a fairly strong flavor, it usually plays the ‘bass’ notes as part of an ensemble, for instance, in a curry.  So far I made a dish that was baked chicken marinated in Greek yogurt with cardamom, salt, black pepper, orange zest and mint. This came out all right, but the recipe called for entirely too much black pepper (I should have used half as much), and perhaps I should have added something ‘red’ like smoked paprika or harissa.  I also made French toast with cinnamon, vanilla and cardamom, which turned out perfectly fine.  Next on the list will be a chick pea coconut curry with a medley of ‘Indian’ spices, including, of course, cardamom.


A week ago Wednesday we went to the Brookfield Zoo for a ‘lunch and learn’ program available to us as donors to the park.  It was all about owls.  The keeper had about a 20 minute slide show on owls, and then walked around the room (filled with retirees, mostly female) with a Great Horned Owl and two Screech Owls.  These owls are used for programs only, and are not normally out in public display.  They are all animals that were re-homed at the zoo from rehabilitation centers and have permanent injuries that keep them from being reintroduced to the wild.  Neither Great Horned nor Screech owls are in any way endangered owls in Illinois or the US.  It was fun to see the owls up close. 





Afterwards we ate a tasty boxed lunch outside near the carousel, and then walked through about 1/3 of the zoo exhibits, going through some of the grazing animals, the African rainforest, and the wolves.  Of great interest was an oak tree near the wolf enclosure that was dropping lots of acorns.  There must have been more than a dozen chipmunks scurrying back and forth between the tree and their dens, cheeks puffed out with nuts.  The wolves had no interest in fresh snacks. We also saw some migrating hawks (red tails?) playing aerial ‘games’ with each other.

giraffe



bison

On Friday I visited the Greater Chicago Food Depository for the first time, although I have been donating money to them for the last 20 years (I had been planning a visit in 2020, but then Covid).  They have a tremendous facility just south of the Stevenson (55) highway on Pulaski.  There are bright conference rooms and a big warehouse with a fleet of trucks.  They have groups of volunteers come in every day to help repack food for redistribution throughout Cook County.  It’s an efficient operation that has big plans for the future.





This last week has been quieter, and the temperature has really dropped in the past 3 days.  We went out to Barrel and Vine and afterwards One Eleven martini bar with the Walloch last night, and left in a combination of food coma and alcoholic stupor.  I had a Sazerac and short rib Bolognese with pappardelle; Cindy had a blueberry Moscow mule and jambalaya.  At the martini bar I had another Sazerac, and Cindy had a vodka martini with pomegranate, mango and jalapeno.

This morning we drove out to Evanston, where we had a picnic brunch with Aaron, Ariana, Enoch, Cyrus, Tamara, Jeffrey, Andy, and Gail.  Cindy made couscous with peas, sun-dried tomatoes, feta, and mint.  Altogether there was too much food!

I have read some fun books lately: Thank You Mr. Nixon by Gish Jen, a set of interconnected stories (like Jennifer Egan) about several Chinese families and their interactions with China and the US.  A Guardian Angel Recalls by Willem Frederik Hermans, a Dutch author writing about the Dutch in the first week of the Nazi invasion - - ironic dark humor. Last, The Second Book of the Tao compiled and translated with commentary by Stephen Mitchell. Wickedly funny, if you go for obscure Chinese sages.

Tomorrow we are going to the Lyric Opera to see Ernani.  I forgot to listen to it ahead of time.

Love, H

No comments: