Thursday, January 25, 2024

Galapagos

 

Dear Everyone,

This is the start of our Ecuador/Galapagos journal. I did this trip with Barbara in May, 1973 - - and a lot has changed since.  I have a rudimentary journal of our two week trip back then (it’s all of three pages long), but my memory of fifty years ago is a bit foggy.  I know I had to document this trip because I was required to give a presentation about it when I returned to 7th grade.  I must have taken a lot of Kodachrome, lost to time now.  I doubt that my fellow students were particularly interested in my slide show other than as an excuse to nap or daydream.  Hopefully, my literary skills have improved enough since that time to hold your present attention.

I think I heard about this Origins Project trip through Owen, who must listen occasionally to Lawrence Krauss’s podcast.  Anyway, I was interested because my Yale housemate (and Pulitzer Prize winner) Elizabeth (Betsy) Kolbert was one of the invited guests - - I couldn’t resist (also 80 degree weather in January was a bit of a pull).  Another invitee, Frans De Waal, a truly eminent primatologist was also on my fanboy list, but he had to cancel due to personal reasons, to my disappointment.

Quito

We left Saturday, Jan 6 at around 5 am to get to O’Hare, driving in snow.  We were taking an airline new to me, Copa, which is centered in Panama City, and really had the most convenient flights to points in South America.  My Ecuadorean gastroenterologist friend, Rogelio (Roger) Silva, recommended them.  Our taxi driver took an alternate route to O’Hare, which freaked us out a little. The flight to Panama was smooth, with a pretty good inflight breakfast. We could see the canal (a man, a plan, Panama!) on our flight in.  We had an uneventful four hour layover in Panama City where we had access to the lounge (crappy food, but comfortable chairs and free WiFi), and then a flight to Quito’s Sucre airport.  Immigration and customs went quickly, and we took a five minute hotel shuttle to the nearby Wyndham, which had us in our room by 9:15pm. The following morning we partook of an abundant buffet breakfast, where we met some of other group members that also had overnighted, including Linda Falkner, Carell Jantzen, and Dave Thiessen. Dave is a retired high school physics teacher (Deerfield HS) who now lives in the Woodstock IL area. We also met Rob Hinton and Caroline Mercury, two former paper industry engineers who live in the Washington state suburbs of Portland.

View of the Andes from the Wyndham.  We are at about 7000 feet.  Can you imagine biking through this country?

Jan 7

We shared a taxi with Linda, and took the 50 minute drive into the heart of old Quito (our driver got a bit lost trying to avoid some downtown traffic), and we were dropped off at our hotel, the Casa Gangotena.  This is truly a wonderful mansion that wouldn’t be out of place as a Venetian palazzo.  It was built about 100 years ago, and converted into a hotel in 2011.  It faces one of the main squares in Quito, with the large monastery and church of St Francisco directly on the left.  Our rooms were not ready yet, so we went up to the lovely terrace at the top floor, where we by chance met up with Lawrence Krauss and his wife Nancy Dahl (our fabulous trip organizer), as well as John Dahl (microbiologist, artist, and brother of Nancy) and his wife Deb Landon.  Betsy and her husband John Kleiner (retired English professor at Williams College) showed up a bit later (they had taken a red eye flight from New York and were pretty tired).  I had a non-alcoholic drink of cocoa mucilage, which tastes a lot better than it sounds. We found out that some people had a lot of difficulty getting in because their flights were abruptly cancelled on the runway due to the 737Max door plug blowout the previous day. 

Cindy and I go to our garden fronting room which is now ready for us, and then go out for a stroll around the old town.  I find a street book vendor, and purchase a Spanish edition of V E Schwab’s Vengeful (Una Venganza Mortal), the second book in her Villains duology which I read in 2018.  I’m hoping it helps with learning Spanish. We walk past a street preacher in the middle of San Francisco square.  He is not afraid to use his loudspeaker, and appears to be some kind of evangelical.  I find out the next day that he is a Pentecostal who makes a point at preaching in front of Catholic churches on Sundays. We admire a lot of colonial architecture and buildings decorated with condors and other Andean animals.  On our walk we have a treat that looks like ice cream but is made with fruit meringue, or espumilla, so it does not melt in the heat. Yum!

There is a short informational meeting in the late afternoon with all of the Origins tourists.  We get some swag (a small bag, a luggage handle wrap, a colored pencil set and a slim moleskin drawing pad). Everyone introduces themselves, and Lawrence and Nancy give out the next day’s agenda.  Wine and small appetizers are also served.

Later, we head out with John and Betsy for dinner, and after a bit of walking about find that most places are closed or will soon. We eat at Casa Manuela, even though we know that this is the restaurant the entire group will eat at the next day.  The servers are a bit flummoxed by our order when I tell them that we have 80 dollars for four people, and they should just bring us food that will cover that price.  They do a good job, though.  We have ceviche and llapingachos, which are potato pancakes with squid, sausage, and quail egg.  We also have our first Ecuadorean beer, Club, which is partly fermented with rice, and tastes a lot like Coors, ugh.

St Francisco square

St Francisco church


Basilica on the right

Cocoa mucilage drink

xcternal courtyard of our hotel


internal courtyard

church doors, St Francisco


Quito sights


Presidential palace


church of La Compania (Jesuits)



Jan 8

I’m woken by the monks ringing a bell at 5 am, and again at 6.  Luckily, I don’t hear any roosters! We have breakfast in the hotel (had some sweet granadilla fruit as well as a near constant on our voyage, pan de yuca, a cheese bun made with cassava flour), and then go for a tour of Quito with our guides from Go Galapagos (this company also charters the Coral I yacht we use for our tour).  Our first stop is the Basilica de Voto National.  Unfortunately we weren’t able to go in.  The basilica is still unfinished after 150 years, and superstition says that finishing it will signal the end of the world (much like the Cubs 2016 World Series win).  Of course these large religious edifices are rarely ever ‘completely’ finished, but also the more recent Ecuadorean governments have not been giving public money to the Catholic Church.  The outside is quite interesting; however, instead of typical gargoyles, the water spouts are hidden by representations of local animals - - tortoises, sloths, anteaters, monkeys, iguanas, etc.  The Basilica is on a hill, and we can see La Filantropica, or the ‘blender’, which now houses the ministry of tourism.

We head south on Calle Garcia Moreno to the square that holds the presidential palace and the archbishop’s palace.  Ecuador’s mainland is self-sufficient in agriculture.  Their biggest exports are oil, bananas (the current president is the scion of a big banana family) and shrimp aquaculture.  There are going to be a lot of issues with oil and bananas in the future, so I hope they are looking at other sources of foreign exchange.

Our walk down Garcia Moreno takes us to La Compania, or the ‘golden church’, which is the church dedicated by the Jesuits. It has a lovely external edifice.  Sadly, we were not allowed to photograph inside the church, where every single surface is covered in gold leaf.  It’s ‘only’ about 4 million dollars’ worth of gold, so today maybe not such a high relative value.  I have to think that in the 1600s you could get a lot more bang for your buck - - that is, building a school today could cost 1-2 million dollars easily, but back then you would probably be pretty happy with two rooms and fifty books.  A lot of money went into the glorification of the church that maybe (only maybe) could have been spent more wisely ensuring citizen’s welfare.  Who am I kidding!  Anyway, I made some smart-aleck crack something like “if I were a Bond Villain I would want to live in this church with my cats”, which was appreciated by my over-awed companions. The church is built atop of lava tubes, which were used as structures for pseudo-catacombs.

The church has the remains of the first Ecuadorean saint, Mariana de Jesus des Paredes, and also houses a lot of interesting 16th and 17th century art, often copies made by local Quito artists.  Of some renown is the painting of Hell by Hernando de la Cruz.  One woman is being punished simply for the crime of being good looking! We remarked on what types of punishment might be considered in the 21st century, such as sitting for eternity in an economy class airplane seat between two overlarge people.

Next we went into a large public building (I think the Centro cultural metropolitan) that hosts an underutilized branch of the public library, and some art work in an internal courtyard planted with ‘heritage’ trees. From here we head back to St Francisco square, and go into this church, which is also gilded (although not quite to the state of the Jesuit church).  We are allowed to photograph here.  There are also many figurines representing “the baby Jesus”, which is the way many Ecuadoreans celebrate their faith.  In Quito there are stores where one can buy Baby Jesus figurines dressed in all sorts of costumes - - doctor, firefighter, etc.

After the church we went to our hotel (next door), and got ready for our lunch time excursion into north Quito.  On the way to our hotel we passed some goat herders in the main square - - they would sell you some fresh milk!

We drive north.  According to our GoGalapagos guide, North Quito residents are richer and more industrious than southerners, but also less community minded.  There were a lot of community help groups in the southern part of the city during the pandemic, not so much in the ‘go-getter’ regions of the city.  We pass the old airport, which is even more constrained by geography than Chicago’s Midway.  It is now a public park.  We continue north and increase elevation until we get to the El Crater restaurant/hotel/spa.  We are surrounded by clouds, but occasionally they break apart to allow us to see into the caldera of the old volcano. There are farms located down below.  Lunch service is slow (but better than some restaurants we go to); something we all come to realize is a feature of feeding large group excursions in Ecuador.  For lunch I have potato soup, goat stew (we think it was actually lamb), and figs (really good) for dessert. We had lunch with Dawn and John Edwards, from Arizona.  They have been on multiple Origins trips. We walk around outside after lunch, and see some llamas.

On the way back to the city we stop at the Intinan museum, which as Wikipedia states, provided amusements for credulous tourists.  There is an exhibit of alleged shrunken heads, as well as some extremely bogus demonstrations of Coriolis force - - if it was as strong as they pretended, nothing would probably be alive more than a few miles off the equator.  I do see some good birds though!  We stop momentarily at the old equator monument to look at the abandoned Union of South American Nations building and get a few additional pictures.  Geographic zero is somewhere around here!  I read one of these two books about the French geodesic survey to measure 1 degree of latitude, but I don’t recall which.  Measure of the Earth  or Latitude.

Back at the hotel Cindy and I stop at the bar before dinner and have dirty martinis and mango margaritas, and then back to Casa Manuela for a big group dinner.  We were not allowed to order off the menu, which makes serving a bit easier. However, Nancy says she was not allowed to choose the limited options. They were thrust upon her by the restaurant when she arrived and the total was less than she had prepaid for the group (of course, they did not refund the difference).  I have a Campari soda, ceviche, and a potato dish with hearts of palm and fried plantain.

Sweet Granadilla

The Blender

Gargoyles on the basilica - tortoises

Anteaters and monkeys

Condor heads

Basilica doors

Lawrence buying souvenir blankets

Memorial to the 1809 revolution

Public library

Heritage tree




Interior of St Francisco...nothing compared to La Compania


Goats


llama

Farms at the bottom of the caldera


Shrunken head? 


Female Vermillion flycatcher

Rufous collared sparrow

Union of South American Nations Building


Old 0 Latitude marker

Second dinner at Casa Manuela.  On left John Kleiner, Lawrence Krauss, Betsy Kolbert, on right Mamta Mertner, Dave Thiessen, John Dahl

Jan 9

We need to get up at 5:15 (not the only time for an early morning travel call) to get to Quito airport to fly Guayaquil-San Cristobal.  It’s a good thing we have this early (9 AM) flight, because this is the day there is a large scale jail break/insurrection in Ecuador, where one of the TV stations is held hostage by armed thugs, and the president declares a state of emergency, curfews and the shutdown of the 2 major airports to battle against Ecuadorian narcotraficantes allied with Columbian and Mexican criminals. My personal opinion is that 100s of years of history show that interdiction is a policy that does not work well against drug use, and even though decriminalization and money spent on public awareness and treatment is also not a great policy, it seems to have fewer bad societal repercussions.  I hope Ecuador, a pretty peaceful country, can get out of this hole.

There were some minor events on our flight, beyond the semi-disorganized manner that check in and security took place. Lawrence helps move our anxious travel minds elsewhere by performing some magic tricks; I especially like the one with the invisible deck. One Ecuadoran passenger was so nervous on the plane that he burst his stress squeeze ball, and viscous goo got all over several people (maybe he was running from the narcos).  One of the Origins group was using air tags which must have lost power, and she had a bit of a scare believing that her luggage had been left in Quito.  Everything came out fine though, and we were all amused by the performance of a trained dog in San Cristobal who ran back and forth along the luggage looking for contraband.  We paid our $100 Galapagos entry fee, collected our bags, and took a short bus ride to the Golden Bay Hotel.  This was a nice hotel right on the beach in a small town, Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, which is the capital of the Galapagos that reminded me a bit of Playa del Carmen in Cancun, or maybe Manly Beach in Sydney.

We have a supremely slow and disorganized lunch at the hotel (Betsy and John were smart enough to forgo sitting down, ask for a sandwich and take a walk along the beach).  Afterwards Cindy and I walk along the beach front seeing sea lions and other fauna (see end for list).  Before dinner there is an Origins talk, first a short talk by the Charles Darwin Foundation about some of their research and conservation efforts (one looking at tortoise distribution on San Cristobal, another on attempting to eradicate invasive blackberry (maybe they need to bring goats back, they seem to keep the blackberries controlled on Isabella), and another of trying to deal with the invasive fly Philornis downsi, whose larva attack baby birds).  Then they gave a pitch to fund a travelling library for the islands (there is no public library here, Origins pledged $5000 from the tour group, which was fulfilled by the end of the trip), and then a talk by Lawrence Krauss on error correction in science, and how everyone weighs about 0.5% less at the equator than at the poles (about 1 pound if you weigh 170 - - mainly because you are both further from the Earth’s center, and you are moving at greater speed than at the poles).  Then we go out with Betsy, John, Dave Thiessen and Carell Jantzen to a nearby restaurant for dinner.  More than half of the menu is not available (I guess those are breakfast dishes only).  I’m a bit disappointed, because I wanted to try a bolon de verde, a big fried green plantain and cheese ball, I eventually got one our last day at Baltra airport), the service is pretty slow, and it’s quite loud, even though we are eating outside.  Cindy and I share a couple of kinds of ceviche.  We went out to the third floor, unused terrace of the hotel to look at the stars, but didn’t see much. Ben Baker, the trip’s unofficial photographer went up later the same evening, and took photos of the Magellanic Clouds.

Greeting us near our hotel

Hotel backyard

Harbor

Sea lions everywhere

Memorial to Darwin and the Beagle

Pacific lobster sculture

Brown Pelican

Frigate birds

Invasive cats - - more cats than people on the island


Frigate bird sculpture


You can mail a letter and get a beer..

Striated heron

Sally Lightfoot crabs

Jan 10

The rooftop terrace is flat and quiet in the morning, so I get my one and only chance of this trip to run through tai chi forms.  I’m serenaded by yellow warblers (plentiful and tame throughout the islands; I am not sure if they are endemic or migrants) and ground finches.  San Cristobal is one of the few islands that actually has a spring.  The town has central plumbing (not so with Santa Cruz), and a population of around 6000.  I think the main industries here are fishing with some farming, but tourism is becoming bigger.  I have no idea how many people lived here in 1970, my guess would be under 1000.  San Cristobal’s main business in the late 1800s was a giant sugar cane plantation

After a leisurely breakfast, we drive up into the highlands to see a tortoise reserve.  There is a population of semi-feral older turtles (the fewer striations and more polished the tortoise’s shell is, the older they are) which are kept for breeding purposes.  We are lucky enough to be at the reserve on a feeding day, and there are small herds of tortoises munching and gulping a plant called elephant ear.  There are also pens with tortoises ranging from 1 to 6 years.  Baby tortoises are very cute.  After 6 years old, the tortoises are big enough to fend for themselves against introduced predators such as cats, rats, dogs, etc., and they are released into the wild.  They are trying to put the tortoises back into areas where the animals are locally extinct.  Of course, the fight against invasive species – mammals, insects, plants, infectious diseases, is never ending.


Invasive Lantana


feeding time

Babies

Young 'uns


Male lava lizard in foreground with stripes.  The female is in the back without stripes and a red throat patch

We return to the hotel, and get onto zodiac boats to get to our yacht, the Coral I. Our luggage is already on board.  We have a buffet lunch (as all of our meals are) and then go back to town to visit Cero Tijeritas, or frigate bird hill.  We bypass the interpretive center, and walk up the hill to the lookout point.  Afterwards we visit the nice interpretive center detailing the geology, biology, and history of the islands.  Nearby is a very modern facility run in part by the University of North Carolina, but we don’t have time or the connections to visit with the scientists working there.  The most knowledgeable of our three required guides, Jonathan (the others were Willow and Diego), worked with some of the researchers there.

Marine iguana.  The white material is extruded salt

San Cristobal is on the far left, and is one of the oldest islands.  The upper right is Isabela, still volcanic active

Prickly pear

Darwin Cotton

Candelabra

Galapagos Flycatcher

Kicker rock

Yellow crowned night herons

On our return to the boat we go through some informationals, mostly about emergency procedures (I think if the ship foundered at night without electricity I would likely die), the next day’s schedule, and distribution of snorkel gear and rental scuba suits.  There is a short movie about sizing the mask to your face, but there is only one size mask, so it hardly seems relevant.  My mask is pretty ill-fitting, and I find on my four snorkel dives that I need to clear it about every two minutes.

The ship is pretty small for 36 people (it is completely full). There is a lounge that just about fits all of us, and a separate dining area which is equally crowded and noisy at meals, especially if the ship’s engines are running.  Our ‘stateroom’ is on the lowest deck, and barely has enough room for the bed and inadequate storage.  As expected, the bathroom is pretty small. This is one reason why I like river barge trips more (also, barge boats don’t typically rock about the way an ocean boat does).  In fact, there is no ‘public’ washroom on the boat, so one needs to go back to a cabin for biological purposes. The shower is timed, and takes a cycle or two to warm up, and although the water is potable, it’s recommended that you get water out of the purifier on the main deck. Of course, you can always get drinks at the small bar.

This is close to the size of the entire room

The bottom deck has ten cabins.  The main deck has a small Jacuzzi and the lounge/bar in the stern, dining room aft, and two more cabins at midship (the galley is on the other side of the boat from the cabins). The upper deck has six larger cabins, a clothes dryer (this gets a lot of use over the next four days), and an area where the snorkel gear and scuba suits are stored.  There is a final top deck with lounge chairs, and is an enjoyable place to spend the late afternoons, or to go star gazing at night (it’s dark enough to see the Milky Way, but no one is familiar with the Southern Sky).

After all of the gear is distributed we are free to wander about the boat (this takes about 5 minutes) and hang out until dinner.  We stay at anchor at the small port overnight, and weigh anchor early in the morning to go north to Kicker Rock. 

Jan 11

I hear every link of the anchor chain coming back on the boat prior to our morning cruise, so I get up.  There are already some people on the top deck, and we see frigate birds, boobies, tropic birds, etc.  Then it’s time for breakfast. Afterwards, we get onto zodiacs, and zip around Kicker Rock a couple of times to see it close up.  This is the remains of an old volcano, eroded by time, and all that is left is the calcined remains of a tuff cone. We go to a nearby beach for some snorkeling.  The water near the beach has a lot of knocked about sand, limiting visibility, but about 50 feet out there some small rock piles/ reefs with clear water, and lots of parrot fish and other typical reef inhabitants.  The coral looks pretty healthy to me; of course, I have both limited vision and limited knowledge. 

Following the morning snorkel we are back on the yacht for lunch, and the ship motors northward to another site off of San Cristobal.  This second stop was one of the few available for actual hiking on the islands, but the weather is rainy when we get there, and most people (including Cindy and me) elect to stay on the boat.  The weather turned nice during the hike, so I am a bit sorry I missed it.  I am not sure exactly what was seen on the hike, but I believe they saw more boobies, sea lions, marine iguanas, and sea turtles.

We have dinner on the ship, and then Jonathan gives a short talk about marine iguanas, followed by a depressing recap by Betsy of the Sixth Extinction.  The natural world is facing a lot of human caused problems including (among many) greenhouse gas emissions causing global warming of the atmosphere and the oceans, ocean acidification, and introduced flora and fauna.  If she were to write a new edition of the book there would be even more dismal news. It’s time for some star gazing and more alcohol.

Kicker rock...it looks like a boot

First beach, we snorkled here

Jan 12

The previous evening we sailed through choppy ocean to the island of Espanola. We have a morning and afternoon snorkels because access is restricted on the island due to avian flu.  Too bad, since this is the island where the waved albatross nests (however, they might not have been on the island anyway since breeding season is usually over by December). Instead, we take some time to motor about along the coast in the zodiac, and see a variety of bird life nesting on the short cliffs of the island.

The snorkel in the morning is the best that I can recall. The water was warm and clear. We swam with sea lions, sea turtles, and reef sharks.  Boobies were diving down from overhead to catch small fish - - and the numbers of fish were just incredible.  It was like swimming in a giant aquarium tank. I have no reliable way to identify what I saw, but they were many and varied.

In the afternoon we went to another site which also had great marine life.  I am amazed to watch Arnoldo Falcoff snorkel with us.  Arnoldo is a 79 year old professional diver who lives on St Thomas VI.  He routinely goes down 20-30 feet and stays under water for a couple of minutes.  Of course, I’m wearing a scuba suit as well as an (uninflated) life jacket, but I have trouble going down below five feet, let alone staying under water for more than 30 seconds. I’m blaming my ill-fitting scuba mask! Later, Cindy and I walked a beach with Jonathan, and Allan and Mamta Mertner.  The Mertners live in London, and were on the 2022 Origins Greenland trip.  On our beach walk we saw lava lizards, marine iguana, tons of crabs (very tasty according to Jonathan, but you are no longer allowed to catch them) green warbler finch, Espanola mockingbirds, and turtle trails.

In the evening we had dinner followed by a talk by John Dahl about Darwin’s voyage on the Beagle.  It was a five year journey, and decidedly uncomfortable.  Sometime that evening we come upon a school of large sharks - certainly over twenty of them.  They were swimming about the ship, possibly hunting flying fish which were flipping out of the water.

An early morning visitor on the zodiac deck

Galapagos hawk on lighthouse

Jonathan on the left, with two zodiac drivers

Whale skeleton on beach.  

sea lions

Do you see the lava lizard?

turtle tracks

Iguanas.  They can have red or green coloring on San Cristobal



Blue footed booby

Ghost crab

Mockingbird.  They often hunt in family packs


Booby

Jan 13

Overnight we sailed to Floreana Island.  This was the roughest sea passage of our tour.  I was glad to have some Dramamine.  We hiked on Point Cormorant.  The beach here has a greenish tint due to fragments of olivine.  A short walk inland brings us to a brackish lagoon where there is a flock of endemic flamingos, as well as a variety of shore birds (stilts, peeps, plovers, and ducks).  We also see some smooth-billed anis.  The anis were brought here to eat the ticks that infest the cattle (also brought here by humans).  This did not work out; the anis are very intelligent, and quickly learned that they could make an easier living elsewhere.  The lagoon is in danger of drying up in the near future from the effect of global climate change, which would lead to the extinction of the flamingo, which depends on the lagoon for small crustaceans.  Perhaps humans would have to create new lagoon inland.

Floreana is one of the few islands with a spring, and so there have been humans here for a while.  It was also the site of a scandalous murder in the 1930s.  However, the island has never been a big population center.

We walk over a hill to another beach which has a good dozen resting sea turtles, which have come ashore to possibly lay egg. Several more can be seen mating in the surf off the beach.  In the air above us are a few frigate birds, patrolling up and down, watching for the emergence of hatchlings (and their dinner).  There is also a great blue heron walking about on the same mission.  When we go back to the olivine landing beach we are surprised to see a lone penguin swimming up and down the shore.  What it’s doing here so far from Isabella is anyone’s guess.

Later we go for a final snorkel off of Floreana, but prior to that, as the ship is cruising to this area, we come upon a large pod of dolphins.  The ship circles around them for about twenty minutes prior to continuing.  For the snorkel, we swim along a wall amidst turquoise water.  There are many reef sharks, occasional sea lions, rays, the usual (!) tropical fish, and pacific lobsters. After lunch we go back to Floreana and have a short walk up to the ’post office’.  There are many post cards here awaiting delivery.  You are supposed to go through the cards, and if there is one to an address near your home, hand deliver it to the recipient.  I see cards for Arlington Heights and some other suburbs, but I choose one on 57th and Dorchester, near where Jasper lives in Hyde Park. Most cards are for the US, but I see Austria, Australia, England, and other nations. We write some to people we know (one got delivered to Minneapolis already!).

After dinner Lawrence gives a talk about the beginning of the universe, with special reference to Fred Hoyle and his science fiction book The Black Cloud. Unfortunately this book is out of print and not available in my public library system.

Jonathan with a washed up sea urchin skeleton

Blue footed booby

Olivine beach




Flamingos

Stilt

Lava lizard

Frigate bird

Turtle and heron tracks

Lava heron


Great blue heron

Green sea turtle

Ghost crabs.  They dig into turtle nests and eat eggs

Galapagos flycatcher

Dolphin

Floreana mailbox

Jan 14

Another night sail brings us to Santa Cruz.  We take our final zodiac ride to the Baltra end of the island, and then a bus to Puerto Ayora. This town has changed a lot in the last fifty years. It has a population in 1970 of around 2000.  The island now has more than 12,000 inhabitants and Santa Cruz in total around 20,000. Back then it was a small dusty backwater - - The Ecuadorian government still hadn’t figured out what they were doing with the islands.  In the early 1970s the ecotourism movement began, and the town is now filled with small hotels, tacky souvenir shops, restaurants, and a few breweries.  The town still lacks fresh water, or sewerage; however.  Of course, if I were a native of Ecuador, I would want to live on these islands also - - they are peaceful, and you can make a good income in the tourist trade.  The government has tried to restrict internal immigration to the islands, even to the extent of expelling some ‘illegals’ in 2008, but economic forces are against them.  This is why the government is trying to control the amount of tourism as much as they can, even dictating and specifying routes that tour boats can make.  When I was here on a Lindblad tour in 1973, we could pretty much go anywhere we wanted, and do whatever we wanted.

On the way to Puerto Ayora we stop at some farms in the highlands that cater to tourists - - there are many wild tortoises here (protected by the government such that wire fences don’t extend all the way to the ground, allowing the animals free access). The farms are also located atop of large lava tube formations which we walk through.  I also spotted a whimbrel here, as well as many cattle egrets.

Before we get to our hotel, we stop at the Charles Darwin Research Station.  I must have been here in 1973 when it was newly established.  I don’t recall much of the visit, except that the Waud family (they still have some involvement with the Galapagos Conservancy), with whom we were travelling, donated a large sum at that time to tortoise conservation.  Lonesome George must also have been present in the living flesh, but at the time I don’t think anyone realized he was the very very last of his species.  In any case, we are able to see a variety of tortoise species penned up for breeding purposes, and the preserved Lonesome George (in a climate controlled chamber which required entry and exit through air locks).  As usual, we also see plenty of lava lizards, prickly pear cactus (here, because of predation by tortoises and land iguanas, that grow into trees), candelabra cactus, flycatchers, finches, etc.

The Fiesta hotel is at one end of town.  It has a lovely pool area, but the rooms are not as nice as what we experienced in San Cristobal or Quito, although they at least are on dry land. Santa Cruz is not really built to take on the thousands of tourists that pass through - - there is no fresh water on the island, so potable water is either from rain or filtered groundwater (the groundwater sources appear to be contaminated).

After checking into our rooms, Cindy and I are free for lunch, so we wander into town and eat at Frafre, a gastropub where we have pulled pork nachos, and panko coated fried shrimp.  We rest up at the hotel, and then we go out to the excellent Santa Cruz microbrewery with Zachery Seaver and Andria Rabenold.  Zachery is an engineer for a hydrogen fuel company, and Andria is a middle/high school math teacher; they live in Denver and became engaged in Cuzco a couple of days prior to this trip (they were travelling for quite a while).   Since there is no fresh water on Santa Cruz, all of the beer is made with recovered rain water.  We enjoy white stouts, IPAs, and other craft beers, as well as discussing recent musical trends. After the microbrew, we join the rest of the Origins group at the El Muelle de Darwin (Darwin’s dock) restaurant.  We are seated upstairs at a large open roofed terrace.  The ambiance is nice, but as usual, despite submitting our orders ahead of time the food comes out in a disorganized and slow fashion.

Betsy and John.  The National Geographic ship is in the background, about twice our size

Semi-feral tortoises


Whimbrel

Gallinule


White cheeked duck

Lava tubes



lava lizard

Button mangrove

Prickly pear and Candelabra 'trees'

lava lizard

Baby tortoises.  The Research station breeds several species of tortoises to be released back to their home islands when old enough

Lonesome George

Charles Darwin

Jan 15

No activities are planned for most of the day.  We eat breakfast at the outdoor patio and are entertained by extremely tame yellow warblers, which scramble about looking for food, especially scrambled egg. Cindy and I walk about the town before it gets too hot.  We visit the next door Laguna de las Ninfas (nymph’s lagoon) by walking along a rickety wooden boardwalk.  We do see a sea lion, but the water is murky - - baby hammerhead sharks and other wildlife has been reported here, but we don’t see anything.  We walk to the edge of the bay, where we see some fisherman unloading their catches.  Then, into town we buy some little souvenirs - - a small blue footed booby and a marine iguana, they can keep company with my 50 year old wooden Galapagos tortoise.  We pass by the 7th Day Adventist Natural History Museum without entering (I guess we are too close-minded), and have lunch at the Galapagos Deli.

Late in the afternoon, we all reconvene at the Research Station where we hear a trio of talks by our guest lecturers.  Betsy and John Dahl try to put some better spin on the grim news.  Betsy speaks about some human interventions trying to prevent the worst from happening, such as trying to keep invasive Asian carp out of Lake Michigan (the latest I have heard is that Chicago area pollution is keeping them out of the shipping canal - cleaning the water may increase the chance of invasion into the lakes!  On the other hand, the Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources just recently caught 750,000 pounds of carp).  John talks about our response to pandemics.  Unfortunately, I am too cynical to believe that we can do much to prevent the oncoming tsunami.  Humans are generally not very good long range planners, and I marvel at the things we have occasionally gotten more-or-less right, like the Marshall plan.  Lawrence gives a talk about massive geoengineering projects, like moving Earth to Mars orbit in a few hundred million years (I forget the exact length of time) to accommodate the sun turning into a red giant.  Of course, in a few billion years there won’t be anything left but an empty cold universe anyway.  After the talks there is an auction to raise money for the travelling library project.  There are a couple of maps, a weekend in PEI with Lawrence and Nancy, but the hottest item turns out to be a hand illustrated copy of John Dahl’s book Darwin’s Second Voyage.

Following the talks, we repair to the Nazca restaurant, where Nancy and Lawrence were assured that they could handle our group.  Alas, a day of preparation did not seem to help.  Instead of a fixed menu, we were told to order off the menu, and service was slow and chaotic as usual.  John and Betsy, who had an early morning flight the next day, left before they had more than their ceviche (which was excellent).  The beef was also exceedingly tough (as I found throughout our trip here - - stick with seafood, chicken, or pork)

Gecko (one of several) in our room at the Fiesta.  They didn't eat all of the bugs, however

Catch of the day

Sally Lightfoot crabs





Jan 16

We originally planned to leave the Fiesta around 11 AM, but because of the size of our group we are told by the management at 8:30 that we should leave for the airport at 9! Several of us rush to finish packing. A couple of people in our group had gone into town for breakfast and are not around when we leave, but they are contacted by cell phone and get to the airport a bit later with Nancy Dahl.  It is later speculated that we were rushed out due to something to do with the increased military presence seen about town and at all the transfer points. We take a bus to Punta Carrion and take the five minute ferry across the Itabaca channel.  There are many Brown Noddys flying about.  We take another short bus ride through the desert-like landscape of Baltra to the airport, which is surprisingly efficient.  Baltra served as a US air force base during WW2 to help protect the Panama Canal.  I can’t imagine which was a more desolate place to serve - - Baltra, or Churchill Manitoba. We have lunch here (I finally get that Bolon de verde), visited by aggressively begging ground finches.

Some of the group separate here (Lawrence, Nancy, the Dahls and the Mertners are flying to Isabela for a few days). We have some food in the airport, shared by aggressive ground finches, and are “escorted” to our plane by large land iguanas. They look like small dinosaurs! We then take our flight to Guayaquil, where we and Keith Thompson say goodbye to everyone else who is going on to Quito for their return flights.

Cheeky yellow warbler

Sea lion sleeping it off

Ground finches

Land iguanas


Itabaca channel


Can you see the volcano crater on the left?

Guayaquil

Guayaquil

We only go from the airport to the hotel and back again, but I can tell that Guayaquil appears to be a much more modern, vibrant and lively city compared to Quito.  There are a lot of private security people on the street and in our hotel. We are staying at the Sheraton, and Keith is across the street at a Wyndham hotel.  We had checked our baggage for the tightly packed flight to the mainland, so he decided to go on without us, and it turned out his taxi driver took him to the incorrect hotel at first.

There is a large mall with a food court across the street, reachable via an enclosed walkway. Cindy and I wander through it in the early evening, but we don’t see anything outstanding (unlike some of the food courts in Australia or Canada), so we go back and eat at the hotel. We chose some of our favorite Ecuadorian food—empanadas filled with potato to share, ceviche for me and a shrimp dish for Cindy.

Common appetizers, especially the almost corn nuts in the upper left, and fried plantain


Ceviche with gazpacho

Jan 17

After breakfast (where we get our last pan de yuca) in the hotel, we do our final pack up and use the hotel shuttle back to the airport, about 10 minutes away.  We are a bit surprised to meet up with Keith (otherwise known as Tiger) at the airport; his earlier flight was cancelled, and now he is leaving for Panama City with us. We all hang out in the lounge in Panama City for a few hours before we leave for Chicago and Tiger to LA about the same time.  We have a long discussion about weight lifting for track and field athletes, hear how he was kicked out of China and discussions of his two satiric historical fictions (Scoundrel and 2024, both of which I have subsequently purchased).  Keith has some major joint replacement surgeries coming up.

Our final flight from Panama City to Chicago is uneventful, and other than arriving in zero degree weather, we are glad to be home.

Some final thoughts

The Galapagos have changed a lot in fifty years (as I have).  In 1970 Barbara and I were on a ‘big’ Lindblad tour - - the ship was probably about the size of the National Geographic vessel we saw anchored in Santa Cruz, and I’m guessing had about 50-70 tourists.  We were able to go pretty much anywhere we wanted to, even though we did have Galapagos guides with us then as well.  I don’t think the marine tourism was as developed then, now all of the best diving sites are well known.  There wasn’t any bird flu on the islands (that we knew of), and we spent a lot more time walking in the different land habitats back then.  I missed doing that, but I also remember it was extremely hot, and just our short excursion to the Floreana post office reminded me of how miserable it can be!

The population of the islands has truly exploded; I think there are 5X-10X more people who are permanent inhabitants over the last 50 years. If I lived in Ecuador I would want to live on the islands too. The Ecuadorean government unsuccessfully spent many years trying to figure out what to do with these islands until they finally hit on ecotourism in the early 1970s (when I was last there).  There were fewer than 10,000 tourists in 1973, now it is probably 250,000. I don’t think the towns are quite capable of holding that many people.  There is no sewerage in Port Ayora, and pretty limited solid waste disposal as well, but I saw a lot of building going on, indicative of ever increasing habitation.  The park is well managed however, with pretty strict entry times to the different locations.  I think the $100 fee on entry into the Galapagos is a laughable sum.  Most tourists pay much more money just to get to the islands; the Ecuadorean government could easily double the entry fee without significantly decreasing the number of tourists, potentially increasing park revenue from 25 million to 50 million.  That could pay for a lot of services.  I don’t know what the tax situation on food, souvenirs, hotels, etc. is, but that could probably be increased as well.

This was a pretty interesting trip, and I enjoyed meeting the other participants, and the evening lectures.  I wish we had had more talks from our naturalist guides, and I think it was unfortunate that our dining room was too small for them to sit and eat with us and share their stories about the Galapagos.  Our hotels in Quito and San Cristobal were very nice, but I would have to say that the Coral I and the Hotel de Fiesta left a bit to be desired.  It would probably be worth it for future visitors to visit a dive shop and obtain their own well-fitting mask to bring along. You might want to purchase a waterproof camera. Be ready for slow restaurant service.

 

Bird and animal list:  I’m just listing the first appearance of each species to cut down repetition (for instance, the sea birds were seen just about everywhere, as were mockingbirds, ground finches, yellow warblers, etc.)

Quito airport: Blue and white swallow, Turkey vultures. Ground doves

Intinan museum: Rufous collared sparrow, Sparkling violetear (gigantic hummingbird!), Vermillion flycatcher (female)

San Cristobal: sea lions, marine iguanas, Sally Lightfoot crabs, lava lizard, Great Frigate birds, Striated heron, Lava gull, Ruddy turnstone, small ground finch, yellow warbler, Elliot’s storm petrels (white-vented petrel), Galapagos flycatcher. Yellow crowned night heron

Kicker Rock: Nazca Boobies, blue-footed boobies, red-billed tropic birds, brown pelican

Espanola: Sooty shearwater, swallow-tailed gull, sea turtles, green warbler finch, sharp-beaked finch, ground finch (maybe sharp-beaked finch, but they should not be on this island), Galapagos hawk, Espanola mockingbird (very bold, with a large bill), turtle trails, shark school. ghost crab

Floreana: Flamingo, peeps, semipalmated plover, white cheeked duck, black necked stilt, smooth billed ani, Franklin gull, Great blue heron, lava heron, penguin (!), sea turtles, dolphin pods

Santa Cruz: Whimbrel, gallinule, cattle egrets, brown noddy, super tame yellow warblers and ground finches.

I don’t know anything about fish, but these sites might be helpful.  I know that I saw some of these!

https://ceiba.org/wp-content/uploads/Galapagos_Fish_Card_2016.pdf

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/88242473935955152/

https://www.importitall.co.za/fishcardscom-Galapagos-Islands-Marine-Life-ID-Card-ap-B009PT35ZY.html

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

owen said...

This sounds like a terrific trip for you, and I quite enjoyed reading about it. My favorite photo was 119: certain you considered bringing the beast home as a pet/lawn mower. Elsewise:

1. I stopped listening to Krause/Origins as he made it too much about himself and his personal opinions/gripes. Big ego.
2. I have peripheral involvement with Friends of the Mississippi River up here trying to keep Asian Trout out of the state's waterways - barrier at Lock and Dam No. 5. Will the legislators approve the expenditure? Probably not. They are dumb. $8 MM today, or if the fish gets in, $10 MM yearly. But they can't do the math.
3. I met a bunch of Ecuadorians today, purely by accident, from Quito! They were being filmed for something, were dressed accordingly. I was surprised to learn from them that there's a big Equa community up here. They're worried about what's going on back home. Who would not be?

Bill Watkins said...

agreeing with Owen, very interesting. I had gotten the impression that the narcoviolence had caused the country to grind to a halt. I look forward to Betsy's account of this in the New Yorker