Dear Everyone,
I’m waiting for the Bears game to start - - not that it
matters, since I usually watch a recorded game to skip over the ads and useless
chatter and blather from the announcers.
I can watch a game in about 60 minutes!
I’m also disappointed by the Grand Final game in Australian
football. I had been watching taped
games of the Sydney Swans
- - somehow they managed to get through the playoffs, where they were trounced
by the Brisbane Lions. Oh well - - there is always next year. I just learned to my surprise that the Swans
have an associated squad in Chicago (the Chicago
Swans). I don’t know if they are
active, but it could be fun to watch a game - - anything goes in these games!
Meanwhile, Cindy is out in Connecticut visiting her twin
grandnieces with her sister Joanne. Vivian and Jasper were kind enough to visit
me yesterday, bringing me a Portillo’s hotdog and all sorts of snacks from Trader
Joes. We played a board game called Fit To Print,
where you have to set tiles on a board as if you are laying out a newspaper
page. I’m sure Howard’s girls would be
expert at this (and I’m glad Cindy wasn’t playing, given her well known prowess
at packing). We also played Mario Party with their Nintendo
Switches. I am not of a generation that
is good at these games, but there is a lot of luck involved in this game (and
we kept picking on the computer driven character instead of fighting amongst
ourselves), so I was able to stay in the running, and actually came in second
at the end! However, I thought the game
was pretty boring. Afterwards we went
out to eat at Katy’s Dumplings,
and Vivian bought me a piece of cake from the Sweet General Bakery.
Other than the weather turning colder, and the leaves
changing colors, not much is happening in Hinsdale. I voted last Monday, as if it makes much
difference in this area (at least, in Cook County there was a multipage ballot
with many many judges up for retention). Otherwise, like Megan O’Brien, I have
been cooking, playing pickleball, (doing martial arts, working on my Spanish),
and reading.
Recent entertaining videos - - Assassination
- - recommended by Gabe. This is a
Korean action/spy thriller that takes place in Korea between 1911-1950;
basically the Koreans against the Japanese.
Lots of plots where the characters don’t know the motivations of the
other characters, and needless violence ensues. I enjoyed it; it made me think
a bit about Peking
Opera Blues, since there were a lot of false identities (however POB is
comic) I enjoyed the Netflix live action One Piece so much that I started
watching the anime - - only about 1000 episodes…We also started watching Culinary Class Wars,
sort of like the child of Master Chef and Iron Chef in Korea. I also got two CDs out of the library - - A Bucket of Blood,
an early Roger Corman comic horror movie (think Little Shop of
Horrors), and the 5000 Fingers
of Dr. T., a Dr. Seuss inspired musical psychedelic extravaganza that was a
box office flop and hurt Hans
Conried’s career, although it certainly boosted Tommy Rettig’s (of Lassie fame)
Books - - I’m re-reading Babel
and His
Bloody Project for different book clubs. Others worth mentions include Kate
Atkinson’s Death
at the Sign of the Rook with a return of Jackson Brodie; Loneliness
& Company, a slightly comic near future AI driven dystopia. I also looked through Nexus,
a non-fiction account of our AI-driven dystopian future by Yuval Harari, not
nearly as good as Sapiens.
Love
H
PS The Bears somehow swung a defeat from the jaws of Victory - - not that they deserved to win the game anyway.







No comments:
Post a Comment