Sunday, August 10, 2025

August 10, 2025

 

Dear Everyone,

A week ago Tuesday, we went out for lunch with Vivian and Jasper to Manny’s. This is a Chicago institution, yet I had never been before - - it’s surprisingly easy to get to from Hinsdale.  We had pastrami sandwiches or variants thereof, latkes, a knish, matzoh ball soup, Dr Brown's Cel-Ray. I also bought some chopped liver from their deli to take home.  The sandwiches were great but I would rate the chopped liver as average.  It’s made with beef liver instead of chicken liver.

Several days later, Cindy went to Albany for her twin aunts’, Jane and June, 80th birthday party.  There were two other sets of twins at the party: her siblings John and Joanne, and her great nieces (Cheryl’s granddaughters) Ariella and Isabella.  There were other Scalzos and Libertuccis (Cindy’s paternal grandmother), along with friends of the birthday girls present.  She came home with an airline sized bottle of peanut butter whiskey.  I did not like it.

I was busy enough while she was gone.  I played some pickleball at NetGame, (and got yelled at a bit because I was pickling some of the less proficient players, but my last group of games was with some competitive players).  I made a stir-fry of eggplant and tofu in a gochujang-based sauce. On Saturday, instead of our usual basement cardio and weightlifting regime at Jami’s, we did a bike ride up and down the Cal-Sag bike trail.  Jami lives quite close to the western trail head, and we road about 7 miles to near 86th street and back.  The plan, someday, is for this trail to extend all the way to Indiana. It was a beautiful morning - - not too hot (although a lot of the trail is shaded) with a bit of a breeze, and not a lot of Canadian wildfire smoke, which has been troubling us these past few weeks.  We saw several ospreys.

This past Thursday we went Andy and Gail’s to celebrate Rafaela’s first birthday.  We arrive a bit late, because there already was a ton of traffic on Lake-Cook Road for an Earth, Wind and Fire concert at Ravinia (that was scheduled to start 3 hours later). There were plenty of relatives at the party, including Rob and Alison Feiger, Ariana’s family, and Jasper and Vivian (conveniently, Jasper had been at a surface materials conference at Lake Forest college).  There were Aperol spritzes, many pizzas, and a large cake that Bluma had picked out.  Bluma was very helpful in aiding Rafael in opening her presents.

On Friday Cindy and I went the College of DuPage to see an exhibit they are calling Hokusai and the Floating World.  The first half of the exhibit is an informational about Hokusai, his life, old Edo’s (Tokyo) ‘Floating World’, woodblock print making, Hokusai’s influence on Europe (and vice-versa).  Then there are around 60 works of art (mostly woodblock prints, but also scrolls, game sets, instruments), sourced from the Italian Chiossone collection.  Chiossone was an engraver and currency maker who was hired by the Japanese to print currency in the 1870s.  He like the life there so much he pretty much stayed in Japan until his death, and amassed a large collection of antique and current (i.e. late 1800s) Japanese art, now housed in Genoa.  After the artwork, the museum has some interactive areas, one about Manga, another centered on children, with an amusing 7-minute animated loop about Hokusai’s life.  They also have an “Edo Eats” concession, that unfortunately only serves Asian food on the weekend; we had hot dogs.  On the weekend they also have a variety of demos.  This weekend they were to have sumo, kyudo, and some musical demos.  It’s been in the low 90s, so I don’t imagine the sumo was much fun for the wrestlers.

For our Galapagos book club, we read a book about J S G Boggs.  Boggs became quite famous for painting images of currency and exchanging them for actual objects.  He was arrested as a forger several times, (his art was clearly not actual currency) and was always acquitted.  In some ways he illustrates the philosophical underpinning for the concept of NFTs.  The book was fun, but stylistically quite late 1980’s, with a David Foster Wallace vibe.  I also enjoyed Ordinary Wolves by Seth Kantner, a bildungsroman about growing up in the Alaskan wilderness. 

In fiction I enjoyed Sister Snake, sort of a mash-up of Crazy Rich Asians plus demon/vampire/immortals, pretty funny.  Mechanize My Hands to War, a near future dystopia/preapocalyptic book about our present have/have-not society, artificial intelligence, etc.  It’s a somber, well thought out book.  Presently, I’m halfway through House of Open Wounds, a darkly comic grim-dark fantasy mash up with MASH.

Love, H.

















Hokusai






 

 

No comments: