Monday, April 27, 2026

April 27, 2026

 

Dear everyone,

This letter is a week late.  I was busy the last two weekends (see below), and also, we are leaving with Andy and Gail the upcoming weekend for a two-weeks in Kenya.  This was a trip that has had a lot of snafus already - - it was originally booked for last August - - there may have been insufficient people booking it, and also after more research, the itinerary was changed.  In any case we were all prepped to travel this May with the star academic - - Bruce Patterson, the emeritus curator of mammals at the Field Museum (and Barbara’s old boss), but practically at the last minute he had to cancel for unspecified health reasons.  I hope that this is the worst that happens on this adventure, and that Bruce recovers.

Usually, I’m playing pickleball this time of day on Mondays, but I hurt my back rising and twisting several weeks ago.  I think I strained my right latissimus, and I continued playing for a couple of weeks, and it has yet to heal.  I’ve decided I need to take it easy this week to be as injury free as possible for our trip. Pickleball is dangerous!  I’m pretty sure I have a small tear in my left knee from months ago that has not gotten much better, and it certainly affects my ability to sit seiza (kneeling) when doing aikido.

Speaking of which, I’ve been doing a lot more martial arts lately.  Sunday April 19th, I did my usually two-hour aikido class, but then stayed at the dojo for a four-hour seminar with Steven Vasilakis. Some people from my tai chi group had told me about his ability to thrown them around, and now having experienced it, I believe them.  Steven is a tallish guy with a burly build, probably over 100 kg.  Like my deceased instructor, Bill Grizzle, he is a long-time student of Master Liao in Oak Park.  I’m not exactly sure how Steven was pushing me around, but I don’t think it was a mystical force.  He’s a pretty big and strong guy.  I can tell I have a lot yet to learn.

This past weekend I was in Lake Geneva at Sensei Diane Costanzo’s dojo.  I used to train with her on occasion in Oak Park, but she sold that place and moved to Wisconsin post-covid.  Her new dojo is 15-20 minutes away from Lake Geneva, in other words, in the middle of nowhere, and I’d imagine this is really a vanity post-retirement project for her.  Some of her old students may drive up for classes, but I doubt she is attracting much local interest.  Anyway, Ed Gemanov from Bulgaria was the (usual) main headliner, but we were also lucky enough to have Hiroshi Tajiri from North Carolina also present.  Sensei Tajiri is pretty old (one of Toyoda's oldest students), and has had some health problems over the last couple of years.  You may recall that we have commissioned several sumi-e paintings from him over the years: Meeko, Daisy, and Guido.  The seminar was fun, and as others remarked, like a family reunion where you see old friends on the aikido seminar circuit.  I carpooled there with Bob Garza and Joan Dehnert in Bob’s enormous ford F-150, and we stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Elkhorn.  The first evening was pretty hard, and I would guess that I had over 500 falls over the three days. We ate a lot of food also, with meals at the Flat Iron Tap, Zaab, and the Next Door Pub Lakeside.

Sensei Tajiri


Tsevetomir Doskov (Dosi), Tajiri, and Germanov

Meanwhile, Spring migration has started in earnest.  I have been going to the Little Red Schoolhouse a few times a week, in between the rainy days (although today Jami Walloch and I got pretty soaked).  It’s only been ok so far - - we’ve seen the usual yellow-rumped, yellow, and palm warblers, blue-gray gnatcatchers, chipping and song sparrows, but also Blackburnian warblers, and orchard oriole, and a barred owl. Already a lot of the early spring wild plants have shown their ephemeral flowers.

Barred owl

Red-eared Slider

Blue violet

May apple and Bloodroot

Virginia bluebells

Phlox

Spring beauty

Just a couple of days before the aikido seminar, Cindy and I went to the Brookfield Zoo to see their Glow Wild exhibit.  We had planned to go with the Wallochs, but they had to cancel because they had to make a trip to emergency vet as one of their dogs was sick. We had dinner at the Little Owl Social Club, and then got to the zoo a touch to early (around 7).  We really shouldn’t have started until after 7:30, because the figures looked much better in the dark.  I was a bit underwhelmed by the exhibit, but Cindy liked it, and it was a nice evening.  I think this would be a fun event for the under-10 crowd. We also got to see a lion dance performance.  We were surprised to see a large number of people at the zoo, especially for a weeknight; the tickets were not cheap, especially with a 20% ‘processing’ surcharge.

Now we don't need to go to Africa





There were also mythical creatures


Kids could sit inside this carriage


Much better at night

Lion dance


Interesting books:

Non-Fiction

Someday Everyone Will Always Have Been Against This.  This is a 2025 National book award winner by Egyptian – Canadian – American author Omar El Akkad.  It’s mostly about the destruction of Gaza, but plenty of conflation with the Western world’s other sins of exploitation and climate change.  El Akkad is very angry – but is he angry because of the moral injury in itself, or the lying and hypocrisy associated with it?  It reminded me a bit of People Love Dead Jews. I guess one can either feel rage if the horror of life strikes you as novel idea, or cynicism as you realize that the ills he describes are the same as what has been happening for all of human civilization, or maybe pre-civilization (re: chimpanzee civil wars).

A different dismal take on human history is Pathogenesis: A History of the World in Eight Plagues.  Here the author traces a lot of human history and pre-history to the effects of infectious diseases.  According to this thesis, this is the reason why the Cro-Magnons crowded out the Neanderthals, why Europeans were able to take over the New World, and why Africa was so inimical to would be colonists until the end of the 19th century.

A bunch of books about man eating lions and the colonization of Kenya

Fiction:

A History of the World in 10&1/2 Chapters by Julian Barnes.  A very clever book of 10 (and one-half) interconnected stories, fairly amusing.

Daughter of Crows by Mark Lawrence.  Acceptable grimdark fantasy

The Listeners by Maggie Steifvater:  Set in an opulent West Virginia hotel in the early 1940s, this novel is about the federal takeover of the venue to house enemy diplomats during WW2

The Afterlife Project by Tim Weed:  This near present and far post-apocalyptic novel takes place about 50 years as well as 10,000 years int the future.  It could be depressing, but it’s not

 

No comments: