Saturday, October 10, 2020

October 10, 2020

 

Dear everyone,

Wow, support for this computer program is ending in the middle of next week.  Hope I don’t have any problems - - the solution probably being the purchase of a new computer (this one is 8 years old).

Work is getting pretty close to normal.  I’d say we are at about 90% of our previous volume.  We still lost about two months of income in the late spring.  We are about to stop using our crappy hospital IT system, and move onto EPIC on Monday, which will be a great improvement.  EPIC also has an associated Pathology Information System that will be on line in December, which I will have to learn for no great use, because the remaining partners have decided that they have excess personnel, so they only want to hire me for locum tenens work to cover any long vacations for Wesley Samore, my replacement. They’ll look at the work volume again in June.  At least they will cover my malpractice insurance for next year.  My opinion?  I think they are losing out on a bargain.  The people who have the most to gain are the current partners, who will recoup my salary - - and they have the least to lose, since most of them spend their time doing cytopathology. It’s the yet-to-be partnered who will have to shoulder my surgical pathology work load, which is significant - - I sign out the highest volume of surgical work by far.  I may end up being too ‘busy’ to cover Wesley’s vacations.  The cost of eating my malpractice coverage is minimal for them. 

Anyway, my biggest issue is psychological, since I hadn’t expected to be off 100% of my time, and with Covid, it’s hard to figure out what I will be doing with my time.  I would like to check out the Chicago Food Depository, take some classes, etc. but who knows what the state of quarantine will be.

I’m writing this letter a day earlier than usual since I will be a bit busy tomorrow.  I will have an aikido weapons class from 12 -3.  We’ll be in the backyard of an elementary school in Worth, wearing masks and keeping our distance.  We did this a couple of weeks ago, and it worked out pretty well. Then, afterwards, Cindy and I will join Gail and Andy for dinner at Roger’s.  We saw Roger last Saturday with Aaron and Jacob; they both seemed fine, but Roger was a bit out of it.  His sleep schedule is irregular - - he naps frequently (every 1-2 hour or more), and is up in the middle of the night demanding food.

We are going ahead with Cindy’s application for Italian citizenship.  The paperwork on her grandparents is a mess - - riddled with inaccuracies and mistakes (including people’s names, dates, locations).  Some is easily explained by clerks not understanding a heavy Italian accent, while others make us scratch our head. Because her grandfather thought he’d been naturalized along with his mother, he reported himself as so in census, voter registration, etc. The US Government never questioned him until the last year of his 99, when he tried to be admitted into an assisted living facility that rejected him as a non-citizen because there was no record of his being naturalized. This conflicting information means she has to go through her grandmother’s line, and the case must be presented in Italian court. It is probably going to take about 30 months to find out if she can achieve this goal, and there is no guarantee that it will work.  It’s not super cheap either.  But after the insane happenings this week - -the conspiracy to kidnap the Governor of Michigan, Our Fearless Leader’s super-spreader event, his steroid crazed twitters (and his bungled debate), the likely successful attempt to ram a far right wing religious zealot on the Supreme Court - - I would feel better if I knew my children would have an increased ability to escape this environment.

Media wise, Schitt’s Creek is on Netflix now, and we have been savoring them slowly.  I got the 3rd season of The Wire out of the library (I wonder when Lovecraft Country will make its way there). I have read some good books lately, including The City We Became, The Last Human, The Only Good Indians, and Station Eleven.  By the way, we are planning a zoom book discussion of Station Eleven.  So far I think the date and time are Sunday, November 1st at 2:30 Central Time (the day we ‘fall back’ to standard time) - - email me or Ariana if you’re interested.

Love, H.



After Robbie gets a hair cut, he becomes the very model of a modern major general

No comments: