Saturday, October 24, 2020

OCtober 24, 2020

 

Dear everyone,

It’s a sunny Saturday outside, although cool, and Cindy is busy with autumnal gardening.  Robbie is sleeping indoors on a sun patch. Me?  I went to the gym this morning, then the library, and just finished my typically unsatisfying Zoom aikido class (which I need to keep my head in the game).

Cindy went to Denver last weekend to visit Lucas.  Flying with the plane under 2/3 full was great.  The airports are easy to negotiate, even if there aren’t many concessions open.  While there they did a loop at Roxborough State Park, visited the Denver Zoo, and the Denver Nature and Science museum.  They also had some spicy tacos, and had a gluten filled meal with Jacob.  Meanwhile, I cooked for myself - - I made a really easy pasta sauce with tomato paste, some olive oil, water, Korean gochujang, capers, and chopped Kalamata olives.  I cooked it with sardines (a birthday gift from Cindy from a couple of years ago that I am only allowed to use when she is out of town), but the sauce was fine without them.  I also tried my hand at kimchee rice, which impressed me less.  

More importantly, I voted.  Monday was the first day of early voting in DuPage County. I drove 20 minutes west to Downers Grove with my mail-in ballot on hand.  The line for early voting was at least a block long, and I estimated at least a 60-90 minute wait.  Luckily, I was able to bypass the line to deposit my ballot in the collection box. I hope my vote gets counted!  Yesterday I was listening to an NPR interview of three voters in Pueblo, Colorado.  One man was a union organizer who unsurprisingly was a Biden supporter.  The second man was a Mexican Jew, important in his synagogue (I don’t remember if he was a rabbi), who voted for Trump, and continued to support him because ‘he brought peace to the Middle East’.  My eyes are rolling, but I get it.  However, the third interviewee was a woman who ran some sort of social services organization.  In all of 2019 she had about 8000 client families.  This year, through September, the number was already more than double.  Yet, she was a Trump supporter, because she didn’t want the US to become a ‘socialist’ country.  Can you say cognitive dissonance?  I guess she was sticking to her beliefs, since I surmise a lot of people become Democrats when they want something from government, and Republicans when they are afraid government is going to take something (i.e. money or ‘rights’) away, or shove ‘burdensome’ regulations onto them, but I would imagine most of her budget comes from Federal or State sources.  If that’s not ‘socialism’, I don’t know what is.

The hospital turned over to a new hospital information system (EPIC) last week.  I didn’t have any issues, because I had already been using it for some months.  It is much better than what we had before. However, this Thursday, when I was on call, the whole system went down in the early morning (probably because we had some massive thunderstorms during the night before).  Because of this, all of the surgeries were delayed for about four hours (all of the anesthesia charting runs through EPIC).  Consequently, I was at work until about 8 PM. Ugh.  I won’t miss that part of the job at all.

I haven’t read anything that I am very excited about over the last couple of weeks except for the Glass Hotel, by Emily St John Mandel.  It has many of the same characters as in Station Eleven, but in a different (more ‘realistic’) world.  I’m looking forward to our book club meeting next Sunday!

Love, H



I'm not carving pumpkins in this Covid year, but this is the design I would use.  Feel free to use it!


What it should look like when done, more or less




No comments: