Sunday, January 19, 2025

January 18, 2025

 

Dear Everyone,

It’s two weeks since my last letter.  It’s almost bitterly cold here (about 10 F) - - I’m glad we are not in Minneapolis!  Tomorrow is not only MLK day, but also the re-inauguration of the felon-in chief.  I was counting the days of his four-year term last time, but I don’t have the energy to do it this go around.  Four years of chaos and political horror show (if not worse) are coming upon us. I was just mentioning to Cindy what an awful choice RFK Jr for HHS is.  His anti-vaccine and anti-fluoridation screeds are patently ridiculous.  Why isn’t he advocating pushing forward on lead standards, air quality, or the completely lax regulations that chemical companies have?  I don’t even want to go on about the other nominees.  I will stop reading the news to save my sanity.

Last weekend we went out to Rubi Agave in Homer Glen with Bob Garza (the head of my dojo), his wife Chris, and other aikido people – Joan Dehnert, Micah Rademacher and his wife, Jeff Frizzell and his partner Cherry.  This restaurant is (I think) owned by some Ecuadoreans, and they serve a mixture of Latin food from Mexico and South America.  I always like having conversations with Micah – he is a former bouncer, built like an NFL linebacker, but is currently a librarian in Blue Island.  We have a good time bouncing books and movies off each other!

On his recommendations, I rented the movie Pierrepoint.  The movie stars Timothy Spall starring in this biopic about Albert Pierrepoint, one of Great Britain’s last hangmen.  Pierrepoint was responsible for hanging many Nazi war criminals.  The movie was well done - - Timothy Spall is an interesting actor, but I don’t think it was accurate about Pierrepoint’s life, and made a lot of artistic or directorial decisions about the morality of death sentences.  We also found out one movie Micah likes is Stanley Tucci’s The Imposters, which I cannot find at my library (Tucci has stated that anyone who likes this movie must be insane), and Goon, about minor league hockey in Canada, of which I am waiting delivery.

Jami finally gave into to older age, and had knee replacement surgery this Friday.  He was out of the hospital on the same day, uneventfully.  I saw him Saturday morning when he was being administered to by his PT sister Jaycee (and one of his step-daughters, Courtney is also a PT), so I think he will recover pretty quickly.  We are going to go to his place Monday evening with some take out food to watch part of the Ohio State – Notre Dame championship.  I was reading in the NY Times that the top college programs may need to spend as much as 20 million per year to have competitive teams.  I find the whole idea of semi-pro college athletics to be disgusting.

Last November I had been invited (flattering!), and with some persuasion agreed, to be a judge of the annual UIC medical student/resident research forum.  (They knew who I was because a year ago I had shown up at the lecture of Peter Agree, a Nobelist I vaguely knew at Hopkins.) At the time I was told I would only need to look at less than eight presentations, and they would be skewed towards my areas of expertise (e.g. pathology, microscopy, etc.).  I was pretty surprised when I got an email this Friday with a list of the titles of over twenty posters, many of them clearly social work or sociology based. I also couldn’t get into the website where the abstracts were held. I wrote to the coordinator stating I was not interested in judging posters where I could not judge the scientific merit - - basically asking only if the poster looked nice, the presenter spoke English well, and that their topic could pass the ‘grandmother” test (i.e. can you explain the science to your grandmother).  Instead of replying, they opened up the link to the abstract site, and I found to my additional dismay that I could not locate a large number of the posters to which I had been assigned, or other issues (like incorrect author names).  I didn’t want to scroll through over 250 posters to find the ones I had been assigned to!  I wrote back again saying I did not intend to participate (after all, what can they do to me?).  We’ll see what the next step they take will be.  It reminds me of why I have never been a big fan of my educational experience at U of I (to say the least).

Some interesting books lately:  The Vegetarian by the Nobelist Han Kang (chosen by a book club Cindy and I are in).  The book is hard to describe.  Erotic body horror? Indictment of patriarchy? It is three short novellas, and pretty interesting.  She has had a novel recently translated, “We Do Not Part”, which sounds gripping, if heavy going.  I also read the second book in a duology by M R. Carey, Echo of Worlds.  Unfortunately, I did not remember that much of the first book.  Fun characters, but the book ends with a more-or-less literal deus ex machina, so maybe a bit unsatisfying. Nothing else worth mentioning.

Love, H.

Cooper's hawk checking out our smorgasbord of feeders and birdbath.  It's flown through our yard several times in the past week - - and the small birds scatter!





 

 

No comments: