Wednesday, January 29, 2025

January 29, 2025

 

Dear everyone,

I’m writing this letter  (This is the 501st post on this blog!) early because we are leaving for Yellowstone on Friday on a Natural Habitats trip to see bison, elk, moose, and wolves in descending order of probability.  Wish us luck.

The weather has been warming up lately, but we had some very severe cold last week.  The birds have been at our safflower feeder and birdbath when not scared off by people (or hawks).  There is a big flock of mourning doves, and their whistling wingbeat always comes as a surprise.  Otherwise pretty normal backyard birds - - mostly English sparrows, but chickadees, juncos, house finches, cardinals, and the occasional robin, flicker, and downy woodpecker show up.  I also have a bird buddy video feeder, but the birds empty it within a day, and it’s a bit hard to fill, so I don’t always use it.  It’s a good thing I’ve been using safflower seed for the last several years; if I was using sunflower seed the squirrels would demolish that feeder.  (I also have a thistle feeder, but the finches don’t seem to like it; I don’t know why).

We have watched a lot of football the last 10 days.  We saw the college grand finale between Notre Dame and Ohio State (Ohio State won).  I think college sports at this level is an educational abomination.  They should either have sports ‘majors’ for these athletes, or, I think a better solution, hire them to play sports with a guarantee of one year of college (tuition and room and board) for every year they play on the team.  There should also be a financial wall between the ‘minor league’ teams (football, men and women’s basketball, and anything else that generates sufficient revenue and costs), which should be expected to pay for themselves, and the rest of the more amateur sports that are covered by the institution.

We also saw the exciting (Chiefs vs Bills) and boring (Eagles vs Commanders) NFL semi-finals.  The rematch of the Chiefs vs Eagles could be a good game.

Otherwise, life in Hinsdale, in contradistinction to Washington DC continues on as placidly as usual.  Welcome to the chaotic klepto-kakistocracy.  Just today, Britany’s (Cindy’s niece) Brazilian grandmother-in-law, who has been helping with twin child care was told that her visa extension (good until the end of March) was revoked, and she is expected to return to Brazil by the end of February. Multiply that 100,000s. Let alone everything else….

Tonight, there is a big family dinner at the Pomeroy in Winnetka. Happy Year of the Snake!

Love, H.

Handsome Northern Flicker


 

No comments: